Talk

Advanced search

those of you doing blw/self feeding how do you deal with mess?

(11 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 14:27:11

i dont mean the messy floor i dont mind about that i mean the messy baby.

dd2 will not let me feed her. she gets very fustrated and throws food at you if you try to as well as point blank refusing to open her mouth. i dont mind that she wants to feed herself i actually think its a good thing but what do you all do with you messy babies/toddlers am i meant to bath her three times a day?

well actually i dont really mind the messy baby my mantra is "dont worry it will clean/tidy up" but dh gets annoyed and says i have dd2 looking like "a tramp".

today for example she had her bath last night and this morning fed herself yoghurt wich ended up as much in her hair as it did in her mouth we then needed to go to the shops but she would have been having lunch afterwards and would have gotten messy again so i just took her out covered in yoghurt (well i wiped her face). i met my nan who wanted to take her to a posh relatives so i had to rush home and bath her (which i didnt mind) and she ate her dinner naked but wouldnt have her custard as i had to feed it to her incase she rubbed it into her hair.

so what do you all do/ do you all just have babies that stay clean only on a morning and then get bathed before bed or is there a magical way to stop them putting yoghurt in their hair that i dont know about?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 14:36:13

i guess i am the only one with a child who seems to enjoy rubbing food into thier hair then?

Olihan Tue 05-Aug-08 14:37:44

I just used to wipe them down with a wet flannel, including hair (and legs!) when needed! I was far to lazy to bath them all the time.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 14:42:31

would that get yoghurt/custard out though? i usually spray her hair with a bit of water and comb it out but she still ends up looking matted and scruffy, which unless she is visiting posh relatives i dont mind. i think dh just needs to get over himself tbh.

im definately not bathing her after every meal. we couldnt afford the hot water even if i could be bothered.

Hopeysgirlwasntbig Tue 05-Aug-08 14:48:08

SheSells, how funny!! I was just about to start a post about exactly the same thing!

My DD is coming up to 11 months and is starting to spit out food or not open her mouth, yet when it put in front of her she is more inclined to try to eat, but this is usually after some smearing in hair/face and all down her and in the high chair!

Like you, I don't want to have to bath her 3 times a day!

Maybe we should design a special bib that covers the entire baby with just a little hole for the face, bit like a balaclava! grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 14:51:22

its annoying but cute!! my high chair is in a state but has a removeable cover so i wash it about once a week. and she eats naked to save on clothes. she can even manage to get food on her socks. in fact at times im sure she tries to eat using her feet [eew] so bibs are pointless.

im with you on that special bib but it would need to be wipe clean grin

tiredlady Tue 05-Aug-08 14:54:59

I often strip off my 12 mo dd, then wet wipe her afterwards.

There is no bib big enough to protect her clothes from the almighty mess that she gets into when she feeds herself

Hopeysgirlwasntbig Tue 05-Aug-08 15:06:04

am thinking the naked eating is a good idea!

Hopeysgirlwasntbig Tue 05-Aug-08 15:08:48

ps, where'd you get removable cover for high chair from?

booksgalore Tue 05-Aug-08 15:09:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 15:12:19

mine came with one. its a chicco one. but im sure some one will know where you can buy them from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now