We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to start weaning?

(16 Posts)
Superchilled Tue 05-Aug-08 08:59:52

So we're getting ready to wean DD at 26 weeks, and just want to check that I have everything I need. I have:

A baby who is sitting up, shoving everything into her mouth (including the cat's tail yesterday blush), grabbing for food (well, for everything) and has doubled her birthweight and some.
A highchair
A plastic mat to put under highchair
Some plastic weaning spoons
A lidded beaker for water
A plastic bowl to feed her from
A load of pureed vegetables in the freezer
Lots of bibs (only have the cloth type)
Lots of muslins
Lots of Kleenex to wipe Mum's tears when her carefully prepared home-cooked veg is rejected in favour of baby jars

Anything else I need?

beansprout Tue 05-Aug-08 09:01:19

Scrap the jars! grin

LittleMyDancingForJoy Tue 05-Aug-08 09:02:24

Don't forget endless patience, and the ability to remember: Food is for fun until they're one.

So don't worry if she doesn't eat much at first! grin

NotQuiteCockney Tue 05-Aug-08 09:05:30

Scrap the mush and the spoons, and just feed her table scraps, if you want to live up to your name!

Seriously, look at the baby-led weaning threads, it's much less work, and much more fun. (And developmentally better for them, too.)

Overmydeadbody Tue 05-Aug-08 09:07:09

all you need is:

1. one baby, 6 months old, sitting up and picking things up herself

2. some food

TrinityRhino Tue 05-Aug-08 09:07:34

well said overmydeadbody

Superchilled Tue 05-Aug-08 09:10:18

I'm planning to try a bit of a mix of BLW and more traditional weaning on purees (don't fancy dealing with the BLW carnage when we're out and about although quite happy to do it when at home). Think I might have gone really overboard on the purees though - 11 different types and 10 cubes of each. Maybe some pasta sauce might make better use of them....

Superchilled Tue 05-Aug-08 09:10:49

Also think I might need to namechange - nowhere near as chilled as I used to be.....

NotQuiteCockney Tue 05-Aug-08 09:16:00

BLW is much less work when out and about - you don't need to carry around cubes or spoons or any of that faff. And you can just stick to relatively clean foods when out and about (rice cakes, bread sticks, etc).

ruddynorah Tue 05-Aug-08 09:22:48

blw when out and about =

you go to sandwich shop and buy sandwich.

you tear off bit of bread for baby.

she eats the bread, you eat the sandwich.

ruddynorah Tue 05-Aug-08 09:23:50

or you could go poncetastic and take with you little tupperware boxes filled with all sorts of scrumptious bite sized treats, rice cakes, cucmber sticks, cheese cubes etc etc...

ten10 Tue 05-Aug-08 09:31:28

If you are breast feeding you might want to stock up on expressed milk, as I used to mix it with veg puree or baby rice at the beginning so that there was a familiar taste in with an unfamiliar one.

Baby rice is good to have in the cupboard, incase they are not so keen on the veg/fruit
also can be used to mix with fruit for a nice rice pudding

Ineedsomesleep Tue 05-Aug-08 09:34:36

DD stole a ham sandwich of my plate at 23 weeks and ate it all up. I'd say scrap the jars and purees too. Your DD should be able to eat most things. Maybe try her with some slices of peach today and see how you get on.

Oblomov Tue 05-Aug-08 09:48:00

First of all, chill.
If you have prepared purees , fine, use them.
BLW and bread and florets also, of course fine.
Stop worrying and just try. See how it goes.

BlueDragonfly Tue 05-Aug-08 09:51:46

Your list seems fine

all set to go when baby is ready (and you!)

Notsochilledanymore Tue 05-Aug-08 09:59:01

Have now namechanged to something more appropriate!!!!

Thanks for all the advice - BLW it is with a bit of puree thrown in for good measure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now