Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone not given baby food at 6 months as they didn't feel they were ready yet?

(9 Posts)
beansprout Tue 05-Aug-08 08:47:45

Ds2 will be 28 weeks tomorrow and is still perfectly happy on b/milk. He is not showing any of the signs of readiness as suggested by BLW guidelines.

Shall I just leave it for a bit or should I start offering him food now? I started ds1 at 6 months and he just wasn't interested until at least 7 months so it was just a lot of mess and hassle in the meantime!!

I'm interested in anyone who left it a bit longer and why. Thanks. smile

lizziemun Tue 05-Aug-08 09:24:57

I wished i found mumsnet when i had dd1 as i would i had been able to ask this question.

I weaned at 5mths (was the guideline then) but i so wished i had waited as she was not interested in food at all and i beleive that even now at 4.6yrs her fussy eating is because i made her eat when she wasn't ready.

I would wait and try BLW again in a few weeks time.

frogs Tue 05-Aug-08 09:30:12

I left it a bit longer with dd2 cos we were on holiday and I couldn't be bothered. [crap mum emoticon]

My cousin accidentially weaned her at 7.5 months when we were all at a National Trust cafe. I went off to the ladies and came back to find said cousin spooning apple pie and icecream into the baby's eager little mouth.

grin

janeinbarcelona Tue 05-Aug-08 11:00:37

I tried ds at 5 months and he wasn't interested and again at 6 months and still wasn't really interested. He was sooooo happy with bm and growing well (9 kilos at 6 months) so I left him until I felt he was ready which was around 7 months.

terramum Tue 05-Aug-08 15:07:48

DS was 29 weeks when he had his first solids as he couldn't sit unaided very well before then and I wanted to wait as long as possible to ensurehis digestion was mature enough, especially as he already had eczema and there are other allergies in our families.

He happily munched on his veg & fruit wedges after that...but only for a couple of weeks & then lost interest again so I stopped offering for a few weeks.

I know people both IRL & online who's LOs didn't have solids until they were after 12 months....every baby is different!

bealcain Tue 05-Aug-08 15:14:27

my ds2 wasn't offically weaned untill about 9months. i never did purees or mushing, he went straight onto solid finger foods when i felt he was ready. will be doing the same with dd

Ledodgy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:22:09

I left it until 2 weeks ago so waited until he was nearly 7 months as he seemed fine on just milk and didn't seem fussed on solids. Then he started crying in the day for more and waking up earlier so I have weaned him and it's great now he's ready. He eats most things and there's none of that spitting out malarky.

Ernestina Wed 06-Aug-08 17:21:15

My ds is 6 months and 2 weeks and not really interested in purees or finger food - will play with food but won't swallow. I think I'll try again in a couple of weeks. There's no rush...

ChairmumMiaow Wed 06-Aug-08 19:09:56

I would let your DS sit in his highchair at mealtimes (if you have one) and leave some lightly steamed veg or similar on the tray and he'll start when he's ready. You're giving him the opportunity and he'll let you know smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now