Talk

Advanced search

Too much fruit at 8 months?

(7 Posts)
janeinbarcelona Mon 04-Aug-08 16:36:20

My ds is almost 8 months and apart from breast milk will only eat pureed fruit. He eat avocado yesterday for the first time. He is not interested in cereal of any kind, baby rice, vegetables etc. (Haven't tried meat, chicken, fish as I was thinking he should accept vegetables first and he has an intolerance to the proteins in cow's milk so have not tried things like yoghurt or cheese). Now he has 2 feeds of fruit a day and the rest of the time it is breast milk. I feel that he is ready to eat more solids but I don't think I should give him any more fruit. Any suggestions about what else I might give him at this stage?

Thanks.
Jane

littleducks Mon 04-Aug-08 16:38:12

Have you offereed any finger food?

lulumama Mon 04-Aug-08 16:39:09

broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato are all good first foods and can be offered as puree or finger food. finger foods might be more enticing for him. www.babyledweaning.com has lots of ideas for first foods and recipes that the whole family can eat so you are not making lots of special food for your baby

also, you can offer toast , rice cakes, breadsticks too, watch the salt content though

janeinbarcelona Mon 04-Aug-08 16:54:15

I have tried many different veg as puree but not as finger food so will try that. Will also look at the website.

Thanks.

littleducks Mon 04-Aug-08 16:58:48

that is probably a good idea, as pureed fruit i could eat but pureed veg is less appealing!

Dawnie6577 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:20:44

you could try mixing fruit with veg?
e.g. parsnip + pear, apple + carrot.
try putting more fruit in initially and then gradually adding more veg with each feed, so the ratio of fruit to veg gradually gets less?
i'd stick to the sweeter root veg first (bitter veg like brocolli might be too much of a leap).
good luck!

Dawnie6577 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:21:48

you could try mixing fruit with veg?
e.g. parsnip + pear, apple + carrot.
try putting more fruit in initially and then gradually adding more veg with each feed, so the ratio of fruit to veg gradually gets less?
i'd stick to the sweeter root veg first (bitter veg like brocolli might be too much of a leap).
good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now