Talk

Advanced search

Weaning before 6 months

(6 Posts)
zany Mon 04-Aug-08 15:10:19

My DD is 23 weeks old and has 5 formula feeds a day drinking between 25 to 30 ozs. She has started showing signs of being interested in what we eat and is munching on everything (probably teething). I really want to start weaning her this week as I will be going back to work at 6 months and I want to start the weaning process before my parents start looking after her. After reading some of the posts on other threads Im concerned about starting before 6 months especially as she seems happy and content. Would starting three weeks before she is 6 months old cause any major problems as I really want to be the one to start weaning her? I was intending to use Gina Ford's weaning book as a guideline as I havnt got a clue

MamaHobgoblin Mon 04-Aug-08 15:39:28

As far as I know, the six month thing is to ensure that any baby's stomach lining is ready for food, which they all will be at 6 months. Some will have matured earlier, but there's no way of knowing. IMO, there can't be any harm in starting at 23 weeks, as opposed to the 24 weeks that a lot of people view as '6 months'.

(I am stupidly confused about all these weeks. If we count a baby's age in weeks, is 6 months 24 weeks, or should it be half of 52 weeks = 26? My HV says 26, my GP says 24...)

Habbibu Mon 04-Aug-08 15:42:36

A week isn't exactly 4 months, so I'd say 26 weeks. zany, the only thing you can really do is read the research, and then make an informed decision. No idea about Gina Ford's book - am not a fan of her take on childrearing in general, so didn't look at it, but did babyled weaning, which was lots of fun...

Habbibu Mon 04-Aug-08 15:43:36

Or a month isn't exactly 4 weeks, even. Bah.

fleacircus Mon 04-Aug-08 16:48:02

Zany, I started DD on some solids at just past 24wks, for the same reason, I went back to work when she was 27wks and I wanted to get her confident on some solids before then. I'm really glad I did as she refused to take any milk from a bottle when I was gone (had been exclusively BF with occasional EBM from bottles before then, so I hadn't expected it to be a problem).

6mths = half a year, 26wks. So if you do decide to go before then take it carefully and avoid any potential allergens - DD just had pureed or mashed fruit or veg until she was 26wks, since then she's had a really wide range of stuff, mostly our normal food (we remove her portion before adding any salt or spices etc), sometimes mashed or whizzed in a blender but with some finger foods too. I found the NHS Birth to Five book really useful, you can download it if you don't have a copy (just search NHS Birth to Five and you should find it easily) or get one from your HV.

zany Thu 07-Aug-08 14:59:55

Thanks for your advice. After some thought I started with baby rice yesterday. She takes the spoon into her mouth but then just spits everything out. I guess she needs to learn how to swallow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now