Talk

Advanced search

BLW worried about choking?

(15 Posts)
FinalFurlong Sun 03-Aug-08 21:38:45

my DD turns 6 months next week, I tried to offer her a bit of pureed veg and fruit this week but she is not very interested. On the other hand she will happily suck/play with a carrot stick or piece of fruit. However I am rather worried about her choking as she has two bottom teeth through and tends to bite big chunks off and I panic and try and fish them out of her mouth thinking she will choke.
She is always sitting upright when I feed her, am I just being over cautious and should I just let her get on with it?
TIA

cafebistro Sun 03-Aug-08 21:45:09

Im in the same position as you. My dd is the same age and i have not done BLW for that exact reason. Apparently from what i've read,99% of the time the baby copes fine with the food and can dislodge it and cope with any choking episodes. But it still scares the hell out of me!

Habbibu Sun 03-Aug-08 21:45:50

It's always a good idea to know what to do if a child chokes, so it's sensible to be watchful. However, a baby's gag reflex is usually pretty strong to start off with (with occasional charming addition of projectile vomiting) - mostly if you see anything, it'll be gagging - looks unpleasant, but doesn't seem to bother the baby. Aitch's blog whttp://babyledweaning.blogware.com/blog/TheGaggingThing has a section on this. Bear in mind that the NHS recommends finger foods from 6 mo anyway.

Habbibu Sun 03-Aug-08 21:46:37

Gah. babyledweaning.blogware.com/blog/TheGaggingThing

pinata Sun 03-Aug-08 22:10:34

don't worry - yes, there might be a bit of choking, but it passes. as habbibu says, it looks worse than it is and the first time it happens you'll panic. you'll continue to panic but it gets less - eg. 8mo DD today choked on a chickpea. first time in ages - i still panicked a bit but just waited for it to dislodge, which it did in seconds

i read up on what to do if it doesn;t dislodge, but their gag reflex at 6m is strong

FinalFurlong Sun 03-Aug-08 22:13:34

nice to know i am not the only worrier about this.
thanks for the link, also its re-assuring to know the NHS recommends finger foods.

Things I'd suggest bearing in mind before you start:

Learn how to deal with choking - if you have this knowledge you will be more confident about everything.

Don't feed your child anything - if they can pick it up and put it into their mouths themselves, chances are they will be developmentally able to cope with it. If you start poking peas into a 6 month old's mouth then IMO you're asking for trouble.

Trust the gagging thing - it's not the same as choking. You will have many episodes of semi-masticated dried apricots flying across your kitchen before your baby is weaned grin This is normal.

By giving your child food in its natural form (ie unpureed) they are learning about tastes and textures for themselves in the way nature intended. IMO giving puree
is depriving the child of (or simply delaying) the opportunity to learn how to cope with food in their mouth.

Cavebabies managed just fine.

FinalFurlong Sun 03-Aug-08 22:30:30

will look into what exactly you do if they choke (i am sure i read somewhere its best to put them over your knees and pat their backs if they really start to turn blue?)
Really want to do BLW as DD seem much more interested in food when its just placed infront of her, rather that when i am trying to feed her from a spoon.
I always let her pick up the food herself, which she is very good at doing.
Any ideas what i can do with the freezer full of veg and fruit puree i made and will probably never use?

Habbibu Sun 03-Aug-08 22:36:31

Choking advice

Habbibu Sun 03-Aug-08 22:37:24

Stir fruit puree into plain yoghurt - get baby eat it with fingers, or eat it yourself.

grin at Habibbu - yeah, you eat it, see how you like it!

Purees are fine, make lovely addition to meals, help bind dry stuff together to make it grabbable etc. May veg soup or something.

Have fun!

PS Tonight DS was eating venison and crudites [rpoud]

Translation: [proud]

Sorry, Strongbow [urgh, ladette]

Habbibu Sun 03-Aug-08 22:56:16

No, meant eat the yoghurt...! Actually, granola with natural yoghurt and fruit puree is v. nice.

FinalFurlong Sun 03-Aug-08 23:08:23

mmmm, getting hungry now!

ExterminAitch Sun 03-Aug-08 23:29:55

i went to an infant resus course at the hosp before weaning dd. i think it's perfectly sensible to be worried aobut choking, i was. the course really helped. one of my mates is a paediatric A&E consultant and has never seen a choking fatality in his entire career as well, that also helped to put things into perspective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now