Talk

Advanced search

How do I get 15 mth DS1 to feed himself with a spoon?

(4 Posts)
Jen1978 Fri 01-Aug-08 20:56:58

dS1 is 15mth almost, he is slowly getting the hang of feeding himself, but I mostly feed him and let him tap a spoon in the bowl.. If I give him a bowl with some food in he generally plays with it, flings it on the floor or lobs it across the room! He does the same thing with plates - the bloody plate ends up being mroe of a dsitraction and no food gets eaten!
I know I need to let him get on with it but I really don't know how best to go about it.
Any ideas would be really helpful

hana Fri 01-Aug-08 20:58:29

I think it's just something they learn and eventually get. put a spoon out for meals but expect fingers first. dd3 started using fork/spoon a few months ago and she's nearly 2

StealthPolarBear Fri 01-Aug-08 21:13:45

don't bother with a plate, just stick the stuff on his high chair tray.
Spoon and bowl is a tricky one, I'd carry on letting him play with it and I bet one day he just starts having a go. DS is just starting to feed himself with a spoon, more goes down his top than in his mouth but never mind.

Bluebutterfly Fri 01-Aug-08 21:20:36

Don't worry too much. Spoon usage may take a long while to perfect - it is really important that the focus of baby/small toddler mealtimes is fun and play, so that the association with food is as positive as possible. Your ds will gradually get the hang of it, but don't exert too much pressure now. It is just not worth it imo.

If he flings the food and it bothers you just say "no" with minimal fuss, and consider letting him leave the high chair as he may not be very hungry if he only wants to play anyway. Put the food away in the fridge and get it back out later if it seems he is hungry again. Enjoy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now