Talk

Advanced search

BLW - how much milk per day for 8 month old?

(4 Posts)
RGPargy Fri 01-Aug-08 17:20:55

DD has been BLW successfully for the last 6 weeks or so, but recently has gone right off her milk during the day. I am wondering if it's something to do with the weather or whether she is having too much food. She doesn't have huge portions of food or anything so I really dont think that that's the problem (hopefully!).

I just want to know how much milk she should be having per day, as i am aware that milk should still be her main source of nutrition until she's 12 months. I think this is right anyway.

TIA

Seona1973 Fri 01-Aug-08 19:52:27

a minimum of 20oz is recommended between 6 months and 1 year. You can use dairy products and milk with cereal, in foods, etc to make up this total too so it doesnt all have to be in drink form.

FeelingLucky Fri 01-Aug-08 20:00:06

My DD was having 4 bfeeds a day at 8 months. Obviously couldn't measure how much she took.

RGPargy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:45:41

Thanx for that. At least i've got a rough guide of how much she should be having, thanx.

As it turns out, MIL has been looking after her for the last couple of days as i've just returned to work, but she's not been warming the milk up and has been giving it to her at room temperature. DD obviously hasn't been liking this, along with the narrow neck bottles that she's been giving the milk in too so i think i see where perhaps the problem could lie. She also gives DD the cartons rather than powder so i'm just going to use trial and error to see if DD prefers powdered formula, wide neck bottles etc. I tried her on a warmed up carton with a wide neck bottle tonight (at MIL's house) and she drank more from that than she's drank all day - and it was only 2oz!! shock

I'm really concerned about how DD wont drink milk at MILs. I was very shock tonight when she told me that DD had had food at 2.30pm but hadn't had anything since (either milk nor proper food) - and this was at almost 7pm!!!! poor little might wolfed down another banana but really didn't go for the milk.

I hope i can sort it out without causing too much offence to MIL and knocking her confidence, IYKWIM. I wouldn't mind but i'd left written instructions for her that said DD still liked to be fed 3 hourly and there she was nearly 5 hours later still unfed!!

Sorry for the rant but i dont think i can rant to DP so you lot will have to do intead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now