Talk

Advanced search

Hoummous for an 8mo?

(9 Posts)
pinata Fri 01-Aug-08 11:19:02

Can i give 8mo DD hoummous?

it has sesame seeds in it, but she is (so far) veggie and getting some chickpeas into her seems like a good idea, plus i need something other than philly to put on her toast

sagitta Fri 01-Aug-08 11:25:06

my dd was on hummous right from the start. If you're worried about allergies, test a little on her skin first, then her lips and see if there's a reaction.

ten10 Fri 01-Aug-08 11:30:46

I gave mine hummous from 6 months and he was fine (but no history of any alergies in the family)
Unfortunately he has gone off it and won't touch it at the moment, hoping this will change again soon, as I love hummous

hanaflower Fri 01-Aug-08 11:39:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinata Fri 01-Aug-08 12:02:40

no, not home made - i was thinking of getting some in tescos

we don't have nut or seed allergies in either family, but DD does have problems with lactose. not sure if having one sensitivity could mean being more sensitive to other allergens?

i thought about the salt, too, but we'd be talking only a thin spread on some bread, so less worried about that

sagitta Fri 01-Aug-08 15:25:48

DD is allergic to dairy and eggs, but had no problem with hummus. HTH.

witchandchips Fri 01-Aug-08 15:33:09

make your own weaning version its really dead easy. Tin of chick peas drained, soften a clove of garlic in a couple of table spoons of olive oil, a spoonful of greek yoghurt (add more olive instead for dairy free version). Blend and add squeeze of lemon + sweet paprika to taste

Other veggie options to go on toast
mushed avocados
olive oil and the juice squeezed out of a few tomatoes
white bean + sun dried tomato pate (tin of white beans, garlic + some sun dried tomatoes mushed up)

ILikeYourSleeves Fri 01-Aug-08 16:30:54

I give my 9 mth DS hummous sometimes and have done since he was about 7 months, he loves it with pitta bread. He hardly eats a lot, just sooks it so won't be getting too much salt. It's a good strong flavour to excite them I think!

pinata Fri 01-Aug-08 16:47:48

thank you, ladies - i've bought some in tescos, but thank you for the recipe. i will also try and make my own, as i do have all those ingredients knocking about. those other ideas also sound very tasty - i may make some for myself grin

the lactose thing is a sensitivity, rather than full blown allergy, and runs in DH's family, so probably the same as your DD, sagitta - thanks for reassurance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now