Talk

Advanced search

8 nearly 9 month old not interested in finger foods. Any suggestions?

(8 Posts)
2luvlyboys Thu 31-Jul-08 22:50:47

My ds2 just looks at it and eventually drops on the floor. Looks with interest but doesn't get eaten though! Normally everything else goes in mouth!! Had his 8 month check last week and hv said he hasn't got the pincer movement yet and to encourage it by putting peas on his highchair tray. Tried this but he's not interested at all. Has been referred because he has a lazy eye. COuld this be why he doesn't want finger food? Any advice greatly appreciated! He eats lumps very well btw

SilkCutMama Thu 31-Jul-08 22:53:13

IMO he's too young. I didn't bother with finger foods until my ds was one. He sucked things and chewed things but I bnever really bothered with solids until he was one. It saved a lot of heartache

Go with the flow more and he will find his level

MrsJamin Fri 01-Aug-08 09:14:06

I'd just keep offering different things and he'd pick them up - he's not too young for finger food as baby-led weaning babies have finger food from the outset, at 6 months old. Maybe try chip-shaped things first then go on to harder to pick up things like peas?

Dawnie6577 Fri 01-Aug-08 09:51:15

i am experiencing the same a bit with my 9mth + son,although i have found i have had more success when i leave him to it (don't watch him, so he gets a bit bored) and get on with preparing his meal.
also, have you tried the organix carrot stick 'crisps'? toast with butter on?
every baby is different, but they really helped my son grasp the concept (so to speak!) ... he still has to be ravenous to consider veg!
i agree peas are difficult, but it is worth just keep putting them down i think. even if he ignores them, one day he will master it. (i throw out so many peas, but slowly, my son is managing to take some himself now)

2luvlyboys Fri 01-Aug-08 21:33:32

bump

ajm200 Fri 01-Aug-08 21:47:56

My son struggled with finger foods until he was about 14 months. He was one of those babies that didn't have tooth in his head until he was over a year. He could pick the food up but struggled to chew it. He'd suck at a biscuit, banana or lump of cheese but gave up after a few minutes as it was hard work.

Now that he has teeth he'll eat absolutely anything. Don't get disheartened, just try small amounts at snack time and be prepared to offered mashed food at meals for a while longer.

Dawnie6577 Sat 02-Aug-08 16:50:28

my son also has no teeth yet ... maybe there is a link ...?

Habbibu Sat 02-Aug-08 20:10:50

Babies don't need teeth to chew - their gums are incredibly hard. It's probably just co-incidence that the slow teethers mentioned here didn't take to finger foods - can think of a number who would only eat finger foods. Will he nick stuff off your plate? Quite often contraband is more appealing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now