Talk

Advanced search

really thich question but how do you get a 14 month old to eat when she insists on doing it herself but cant use a spoon?

(12 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 31-Jul-08 14:38:54

my dd2 will not let me spoon feed her. at all. she scream and shouts and throws food at me and whacks the spoon out of my hand. angry

she wants to do it herself, which is good i suppose because she has to learn. but she is not co ordinated enough and cannot actually get the food onto the spoon. i have tried her having one spoon and me having another but she just grabs mine off me. it is taking her about two hours to eat one meal. has any one else had similar. how do you deal with it?

scorpio1 Thu 31-Jul-08 14:40:10

let her stick her hands in to eat; let her have a go with her spoon. Get a long bib with sleeves and cover the floor, and away you go!

ellideb Thu 31-Jul-08 14:40:54

Use finger food as much as you can too!

Habbibu Thu 31-Jul-08 14:42:09

Lots of ideas on www.babyledweaning.com

ruddynorah Thu 31-Jul-08 14:43:05

let her eat with her hands or just leave her to it with the spoon.

witchandchips Thu 31-Jul-08 14:45:07

apart from soups and stuff out of jars it is amazing what toddlers can eat with their fingers. Just let her feed herself, she will be fine.

Sidge Thu 31-Jul-08 14:45:18

Throw the spoon away (for now), get her a toddler's metal short pronged fork - it's much easier for her to stab food than scoop it.

And let her use her fingers as much as she wants. Don't mash her food or chop it up too much, let her hold it and gnaw on it.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 31-Jul-08 15:49:05

oh yes a fork why didnt i think of that? we already have one from when dd1 was younger ill let her use that tonight if she wont have her shepards pie fed to her.

she gets loads of finger food and we also do a bit of blw. she eats fajitas and pasta with her hands but id never dared try it with shepards pies and things.

dh is worried that she is not getting enough to eat atm as she throws much of her finger foods to the dog and anything she tries to feed to herself ends up all over the outside of her and opposed to inside of her. i have tried explaining to him that she is a baby and will only eat a very small amount compared to us, but it doesnt sink in. he thinks she is not getting enough so wants her to have less finger foods. i suppose its because dd1 had problems with eating and she was very underweight so he worries about dd2 going teh same way.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 31-Jul-08 19:47:12

haha two spoons!! well a fork and spoon and she uses the fork to push the food onto the spoon! i just wish that i had tried this half and hour ago instead of getting fustrated with ehr for not eating her shepards pie!! she is happily eating/playing with it now smile

hana Thu 31-Jul-08 19:48:51

just let her use her hands - I stopped feeding my kids well before they were a year - much easier that way

notnowbernard Thu 31-Jul-08 19:50:42

Let her get on with it

DD2 was the same, fed herself with her hands (I would say fingers, but that would be lying!) from about 16m

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 31-Jul-08 19:51:20

well i just put tyhe bowl on her highchair so she has the option to use her fingers if she wants to but she seems to like using spoons/forks like a 'big girl'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now