Talk

Advanced search

How do you deal with the mess and waste that babies make?!

(8 Posts)
penona Wed 30-Jul-08 15:02:27

I have 13mth DTs and three times a day I despair at the amount of food that ends up on the floor/in their hair/smeared all over the highchair. It is just such a terrible waste! I have tried giving them just tiny bits of food at a time, which works for finger food, but with a bowl and spoon it just goes everywhere.

I am not sure I am looking for advice on how they can eat neater, I know this is just a phase. But I need to not get so stressed about the waste of food (I can't BEAR waste!). Most mealtimes I silently fume as I clear up afterwards... all those lovely strawberries crushed on the floor.....

Tippytoes Wed 30-Jul-08 15:06:18

I think you are me! My DD, also 13 months is exactly the same. Seems she doesn't eat much if I let her get on with it herself, all over the floor - even caught her stuffing strawberries down the side of high chair this morning and the rest were on the floor.

I have to feed her myself to get in a proper meal and the rest of the time is just like described above.

Sure it is just a phase and they will grow out of it.

naturelover Wed 30-Jul-08 15:13:42

Our cats eat fish and meat dropped on the floor.

The earthworms in our composter get the fruit and veg.

The waste IS awful, I agree.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 30-Jul-08 15:16:42

It takes a while to grow out of it though. DD is now 21 months and still wastes food. I do get quite upset if we're having something unsuitable for her and so cook her a lovely meal that she then refuses to eat. So in the bin it goes. At least she is a fruit fiend, so no waste of strawberries/grapes/melons etc. I suppose this is why Mums get fat eating the food from their DCs plates!

Shitehawk Wed 30-Jul-08 15:21:36

It would be a rare 13 month old who could eat without making mess and waste though.

Put the waste in proportion though; it is only a small amount of food when all said and done, and there is very little you can do to reduce it.

Make smaller portions if you really are fretting about the waste, but really all you are doing is pushing up your blood pressure when you get stressed about it. They are babies; they cannot help the mess or the waste.

Remember that it won't last forever; these days will pass. Also remember that they are not doing it on purpose; they have no idea that it upsets you. They are having fun and enjoying their eating; thank your lucky stars that they do. Food issues are horrendous to have to deal with, and if you make a big thing about it, you may create food issues where there is no need for them.

penona Wed 30-Jul-08 15:23:39

naturelover - do you have to clean off the fruit and veg first? by the end of a meal the fruit is often covered in cheese or bits of meat/fish whatever the main meal was. So I just bin it, although use a composter for other fruit/veg waste.

My cats only eat dried food. I have been considering a dog! Or I could bag up the tasty bits and send them to you (ha ha)

Agree on the getting fat thing... nightmare!

Yorky Wed 30-Jul-08 15:31:34

Your cats only eat meat and fish? Ours love baked beans! Not keen on rice krispies though!

alittleteapot Wed 30-Jul-08 16:16:53

I don't mind the mess but my 12 month dd enjoys deliberately throwing food on the floor, which I do find a bit annoying. In fact it's the only thing she's ever done that's made me feel a bit cross.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now