Talk

Advanced search

Introducing Chicken/Fish/Meat

(8 Posts)
CharliesMum08 Wed 30-Jul-08 11:05:19

Hi,

I'm new on here so first of all hello...

Baby is 7 months and started weaning 4 weeks ago. He is eating 3 meals a day (fruit/veg/yoghurt) and I'm introducing new fruit and veg all of the time. He also has baby cereal/toast for breakfast and i've introduced cheese with broccoli and cauliflower to make broccili&cauliflower cheese.

When should you start introducing chicken, fish and meat into the diet???

Lucy

Waspie Wed 30-Jul-08 13:00:17

Hullo

I'm new too. Lurked for a while though!

I began weaning my son at 27 weeks and introduced fish and chicken pretty much immediately because we are doing BLW I just laid a selection of things I hoped would tempt him and he got stuck in and hasn't looked back.

I give him red meat whenever we have it which isn't that often really and tends to be lamb rather than beef but he has lots of fish, and chicken a couple of times a week.

CharliesMum08 Wed 30-Jul-08 13:18:51

Thanks for that :-)

Another question that just crossed my mind, is there any fish i should avoid with him? We eat a lot of salmon, trout and sea bass - are these all ok for baby?

shinyshoes Wed 30-Jul-08 13:24:20

I think all those fish are OK I think its Marlin, Shark, Fresh tuna and things wih high levels of mercury that need to be avoided before a certain age.

Just making sure the bones have been removed is enough

ruddynorah Wed 30-Jul-08 13:24:51

yes all ok. are you pureeing or doing finger foods? some fish like tuna can be high in mercury so in advisable in huge amounts. if doing finger food then it isn't really a problem as he won't be able to consume much anyway.

CharliesMum08 Wed 30-Jul-08 13:52:48

I'm mashing his foods so it has a few lumps in and also giving finger foods

Waspie Wed 30-Jul-08 16:21:15

Is smoked salmon okay for babies? I'm not sure if it comes under the raw food category and hence to be avoided on the grounds of potential food poisoning.

Also what about cooked shellfish? I haven't given my son any shellfish yet (he's almost 9 months) but I'm not sure why I'm waiting. I think I've read something about shellfish and food poisoning but I can't remember where I read it hmm

shinyshoes Wed 30-Jul-08 17:31:03

Can't see anything wrong with shellfish, I think you have o wait til a year old though (someone will be along to correct me)

Smoked salmon sounds nice, can't see anything wrong with that either,what you've got to consider any raw fish shouldnt be a problem as don't the japanese eat this all the time, thats how they'd wean their babies surely.

or am I being ignorant blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now