Talk

Advanced search

BLWeaners - any advice on portable highchairs for travel/restaurants?

(11 Posts)
Hadeda Tue 29-Jul-08 11:53:47

Hello,

My DD is 6.5 months and we're doing great with BLW. We've just come back from our holiday where she ate everything in sight grin. However, lots of places didn't have a highchair for her so she had to sit on our laps to eat, so one ate and the other sat with her. We'd really like to get a portable highchair of sorts so we can all eat together - part of the attraction of BLW!

I've spent ages on the internet this morning and have come up with this:
1. totseat - looks like good value and very portable. But baby prob won't reach the table, unless you pack a cushion too. So you still need 2 bits of kit (and I'd have to find a suitable cushion, maybe an inflatable one) but perhaps the best option? www.totseat.com/
2. phil & teds me too - also not too too pricey, but less portable than totseat although do-able. But any experiences with restaurants getting upset with fixing stuff to tables? And can't use if table isn't strong enough (i.e. tips over) www.anklebitersdirect.co.uk/phil-teds-me-too-chair-black.ir?cName=highchairs
3. handysitt - ouch on the price shock. Also couldn't find any info on how much it weighs. But DD would def reach table height. Need to be convinced it is the answer to all my prayers before I even think about spending that much though! www.handysitt.biz/

Any other suggestions? What does everyone else do?
I want to get something really portable and light as our family is not in the UK so a visit to grandma involves air travel....

Thanks for your help smile

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:59:52

these are ace and not too pricey but they're no good unless she is sitting up really firmly

it's such a short time that you need this it seems mad to shell out on a really expensive one. How often will you really use it before dd is a year and big enough for the inflat-o-one above?

Lionstar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:05:41

We've got this one: http://www.babybirds.co.uk/shop/productinfo.php?productsid=512

We use it permanently instead of a high chair. It folds up (though not mega small), is light and and comes with a carrybag. We prefer it to the Handysitt because it also has a removable tray (not very big, but works OK). The covers are washable (they do get a bit gunky, especially with BLW).

For less stylish, but very practical lots of my mates have the plastic ones, similar to this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safety-1st-Folding-Booster-Seat/dp/B0013KBQ0Y/ref=pdsbs_by2. Think you can even put them in the dishwasher.

We also have a totseat, and it's good, especially on a very wide seat, but as you say it doesn't boost. We also considered the P&T bu were worried that many tables out and about wouldn't be able to support the weight.

Lionstar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:07:05

Oops, didn't do the links very well, try again:

We have this one.

Some friends have this one

Lionstar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:09:00

Aaargh, one more time. We have this one

Hadeda Tue 29-Jul-08 14:29:35

Thanks both! The inflatable one looks really good at less than 1kg. She prob wouldn't be able to use it right now, but as you say it isn't for that long. Think I'll see if any shops stock that and the lima so I can have a look at the real thing before spending anything.
Thank you smile!!

OurHamsterisevil Tue 29-Jul-08 17:35:57

I have the one MrsBadger suggested. It is really good and east to take with you

MrsJamin Tue 29-Jul-08 19:34:25

I've got the Handysitt as my main highchair as we live in a small house. It's great but I wouldn't want to carry it very far - I'd put it in the buggy for a short trip or something but I wouldn't want to carry it, it's pretty heavy.

amidaiwish Tue 29-Jul-08 19:39:15

i have the handysitt and the inflatable one - the handysitt i used at home instead of a highchair, i wouldn't take it out and about as it is very heavy. It's also gone up a lot in price since i bought one a couple of years ago.

the inflatable one is great as it folds up into a case and is light yet sturdy. gets mucky though and i wouldn't use it day in day out.

the totseat is the kind of thing you just keep in your handbag i think for securing them to a chair if you're e.g having a coffee - not so good for proper feeding i don't think (haven't tried it but have friends with them and never seen one actually use it for feeding, just for restraining IYKWIM!

DisplacementActivity Tue 29-Jul-08 19:44:42

Message withdrawn

DisplacementActivity Tue 29-Jul-08 19:46:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now