Talk

Advanced search

How does BLW work with rice and couscous?

(16 Posts)
helips Mon 28-Jul-08 19:37:59

Have been doing blw with my 11 month old ds, all going well but feel that all I give him is pasta, potato, omelette and toast. Would love to give him rice and couscous but he refuses to be spoon fed. How can I serve this so that he can feed it to himself? He is great at eating small things such as peas and sweetcorn but can't yet master a spoon. Any recipe ideas would be a great help too!!

Thanks!

lulalullabye Mon 28-Jul-08 19:39:36

you put itr on his tray and he will love it, and the best thing is it will take him ages to pick up every grain while you do something else smile

Flossish Mon 28-Jul-08 19:40:21

messily

Seona1973 Mon 28-Jul-08 19:40:22

my ds just used his fingers. risotto is good as the rice is a bit clumpy anyway.

woodenchair Mon 28-Jul-08 19:40:30

with a big mat on the floor!

alittleteapot Mon 28-Jul-08 20:10:39

if you melt some cheese on you can squidge into balls. they're a bit loose and messy but it does mean they can eat small grains as finger food. We do the same with morning porridge - make it quite dry so it can go into balls. DD devours them.

helips Mon 28-Jul-08 20:11:59

Right, basically prepare myself for more mess then grin

Will give risotto a go , anyone got any good recipes?

Ta!

helips Mon 28-Jul-08 20:13:00

Oooh thanks teapot, will give that a go, ds loves cheese!

ruddynorah Tue 29-Jul-08 12:03:55

in morocco cous cous is eaten with hands anyway. they squidge into balls in the palms of their hand. in fact they only use one hand to eat so it's quite a clever thing to master. blw babies are eating cous cous the 'right' way. it would be wrong to use cutlery wink

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 12:08:50

top risotto recipe - substitute the bacon and tomatoes for anythign else you fancy - leftover roast chicken with mint and peas is our favourite.

helips Tue 29-Jul-08 15:42:24

Thanks MrsBadger, that sounds delish and I have all the ingredients so will definately try that out!

Smittals Tue 29-Jul-08 15:46:57

You can mix a little egg in with the couscous and make mini couscous 'pancakes', ie. put small dollops on a frying pan and wait till they set. DD loves this!

helips Tue 29-Jul-08 19:20:24

gave ds coucous tonight and he loved it! mixed it with some philidelphia and rolled into small balls. There is loads left over, can I give it to him cold tomorrow for lunch or should I re-heat? I know rice is dodgy to re-heat but not sure if this applies to couscous. Like the idea of making couscous pancakes, will defo give that a go! Thanks for all the ideas!

slim22 Tue 29-Jul-08 19:37:54

basic risotto

chop onion
stir fry with rice, add stock cook
when liquid absorbed add butter and parmesan

a few variations:

- grate courgette with onion and add peas

- grate pumpkin with onion and add rosemary

- add saffron and red peppers for paella style rice

you can also add flaked fish ( and a little lemon juice and zest) or any cooked ground meat

or you can simply do old fashioned milky rice pudding

alittleteapot Tue 29-Jul-08 20:04:14

I've given dd cold couscous the next day but wouldn't leave it another day after that. glad he enjoyed his balls! I'm def gonna try the pancakes too.

littleducks Tue 29-Jul-08 20:05:16

picnic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now