Talk

Advanced search

blw and pincer grip

(8 Posts)
MamaChris Mon 28-Jul-08 08:06:26

I'm confused. Is the pincer grip a prerequisite for blw? I thought it was just necessary for more "advanced" foods like peas, and that earlier food could be eaten using a fist grip if it were cut into the right chip shape. But recently have read posts suggesting that it's required for any blw. Which is it?

MrsJamin Mon 28-Jul-08 08:39:28

The pincer grip comes later, as long as they can pick up stuff, that doesn't require a pincer grip as they just use their whole hand. Once they have a PG they can then eat peas, yes. It's definitely not required. The interesting thing is that I think BLW is really improving DS's dexterity, just in a few weeks he's becoming quite adept with his hands. Where are you in the process, are you just thinking about starting?

MrsJamin Mon 28-Jul-08 08:42:05

"It's definitely not required" - I meant The PG is definitely not required to start BLW, sorry, 5.50am start this morning hmm

MamaChris Mon 28-Jul-08 09:24:58

yes - we're planning to start this week once he's 6 months think ds is ready: has really started to deliberately grab for things this week, can sit upright, no pincer grip (hence the question), but shoves anything he can get his hands on into his mouth. Am interested to see his face when they don't taste like plastic/my nose!

MrsJamin Mon 28-Jul-08 09:48:54

Ooh good luck, you'll have such fun. It does sound like he's ready. DS was just the same, very good at putting everything in his mouth, which helped the start of BLW a lot. He's just started swallowing after about a fortnight of chewing and gagging, it's worth it but it's a bit scary to begin with!

ExterminAitch Mon 28-Jul-08 09:52:20

i doubt any baby has a pincer grip at 6 mos, dd did't get hers until at least 8. it was v funny, one week completely defeated by peas, the next week she was away! smile

MamaChris Mon 28-Jul-08 19:20:34

Aitch. Look forward to that!

ruddynorah Tue 29-Jul-08 12:06:23

they get it around 8 or 9 months ish. they don't get it before that because they would choke on anything small enough to require a pincer grip. until they get better at eating and controlling their food in their mouth they can't pick small things up. clever isn't it? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now