Talk

Advanced search

So confused about formula versus solids... (for 10.5 mo)

(3 Posts)
Tinkjon Sun 27-Jul-08 22:56:15

MNers and Kellymom say milk is most important until a year old and that solids aren't very important - yet the UK government and every single HV I've spoken to say that solids are very important after about 6 months (and I tend to believe anything I'm told, so this is really confusing in itself)! Anyway, DS isn't hungry enough to take much of both so I'm finding it really hard getting the balance right. He was on 4 bottles a day - waking, mid-am, mid-pm and bedtime. HV suggested cutting out mid-am/pm ones and introducing one with lunch, to try and make him hungrier at mealtimes. This has worked well so far, apart from breakfast, and he now eats a lot more solids at lunch and dinner. But he's not that interested in the lunchtime bottle (obviously as he's just had a big meal) and it feels odd to only give him 2 and a half bottles a day...

Seona1973 Mon 28-Jul-08 10:18:36

my ds was on 2 milk feeds from about 10 1/2 months and he took both of them from a lidded cup. One was just before breakfast and the other was before bed. He had water with his meals and snacks. From 6 months to 1 year a minimum of 20oz is recommended which includes milk in cereal, in foods and cooking and any other dairy products your lo has. This means not all of the 20oz needs to be in the form of a drink as they can get it through their food too. You could offer a little milk in a cup at lunch or you could forget that milk feed and cut down to 2 feeds as long as you make up the rest of the intake through the remaining feeds or through his solids.

Tinkjon Mon 28-Jul-08 21:48:43

Seona, that's the other thing I was goin gto ask - how much can be made up from dairy sources? An HV told me that a pot of ypghurt was about the same as a 5oz bottle - but what
about a few cubes of cheese, how do I know how much that is? I also don't understand how it's ok for them to have some of those 20oz made up from cheese/yoghurt if cow's milk isn't suitable as a main drink for under 1s?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now