Talk

Advanced search

Why dilute fruit juice?

(14 Posts)
FeelingDeviant Sun 27-Jul-08 21:39:49

Not sure if this is a weaning or bog-standard food topic as DD is 14 months now.
She didn't like diluted fruit juice, but today she helped herself to my carton of concentrated apple juice.
Just wondering if this is okay for the future?

If she's eating oranges and having undiluted juice in this way, why should she have diluted juice as a drink?
Can't seem to get my head round the diluting juice thing.

littlelapin Sun 27-Jul-08 21:41:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

isaidno Sun 27-Jul-08 21:41:36

juice is very acidic and full of fruit sugars so it is better for teeth to dilute it.

i still dilute it for my 5 yo DS most of the time.

gagarin Sun 27-Jul-08 21:43:23

it's for dental health reasons.

The fruit acid and fruit sugars in it dissolve the enamel on the teeth.

If she wants it neat make her use a straw everytime so it doesn't swill around her teeth as she drinks it.

same goes for fizzy drinks.

FeelingDeviant Sun 27-Jul-08 21:45:00

But what's the difference between eating a fruit (ie an orange) with it's pure juices and drinking a carton of undiluted pure juice?

FeelingDeviant Sun 27-Jul-08 21:46:14

gagarin - that's interesting as DD only wants to drink it because she loves sucking from straw

Puppie Sun 27-Jul-08 21:46:17

Also thought it gives them the squirts if too strong grin

gagarin Sun 27-Jul-08 21:47:43

the carton has concentrate in it so it's more acidic than the fruit.

The fruit needs chewing which stimulates saliva which helps repair the teeth (I think!)

FeelingDeviant Sun 27-Jul-08 21:50:27

would it be better if 100% juice and not concentrate?

gagarin Sun 27-Jul-08 21:51:27

if it's the straw she loves then get her one of those cups with a straw in it and try her on "mummy's special water" (ie tap water you make a huge flourish of drinking yourself with smacking of lips...).

I failed with dd1 to get her to drink water at all so with dd2 i did the "who wants some of my special drink from a special cup" trick (gullible fools that children are) and she loves water!

littlelapin Sun 27-Jul-08 21:52:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinkjon Sun 27-Jul-08 22:17:50

I think there may also be a blood sugar issue. When I had gestational diabetes I was told not to drink juice from concentrate - though I must admit I don't know why that is.

Madlentileater Sun 27-Jul-08 22:21:49

Oh, be warned...
weaned my dcs onto dilute fruit juice as they turned their noses up at water.
Now their teeth are just fine but but we drink GALLONS of juice, it's no joke I tell you, get them on water if you possibly can.

FeelingDeviant Mon 28-Jul-08 08:00:08

Ah-ha, understood now, thanks very much for all this info.
Thankfully, DD loves water so will keep juices out of sight and out of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now