Talk

Advanced search

Current guideance on when to start weaning

(20 Posts)
RuthT Sun 27-Jul-08 20:51:27

What is the current guideance I know it changes and can't be bothered to go to hv. When I had dd1 it was 6 months.

peggotty Sun 27-Jul-08 20:52:48

6 months

RuthT Sun 27-Jul-08 21:44:16

God do I have to wait that long, he is so interested in my food, grabbing for it etc although not able to sit unsupported

Habbibu Sun 27-Jul-08 21:45:23

Probably a good idea, Ruth - let's face it, he's probably grabbing your car keys too, given the chance...

RuthT Tue 29-Jul-08 22:59:53

lol

ExterminAitch Tue 29-Jul-08 23:40:57

yep, don't let him drive the car either if he can't sit up unsupported, he'll corner terribly. grin

Milco Wed 30-Jul-08 15:55:15

Don't know if you are still thinking about this, but I found the following useful:

www.nutrition.org.uk/home.asp?siteId=43§ionId=394&subSectionId=315&parentSection=299&which=1

Its from the British Nutrition Foundation and has references to the relevant studies. Basically it says the UK govt currently recommends 6 months, but that this is at least in part to be in line with the World Health Organisation. Previously the guideline in the UK was between 4 and 6 months. There is also quite a lot of stuff about what to avoid at different ages. Prob not relevant, but for premature babies, the guideline is 5-7 months from birth (taken from the BLISS booklet on weaning/their website).

fedupandisolated Wed 30-Jul-08 16:07:57

With my HV hat on - six months. But go with BLW - it's much easier. I used this method with DS when he was weaning 5 years ago. Nobody appeared to have heard of BLW then - my Mum was horrified that I didn't/wouldn't get the baby rice out at 13 weeks.grin.

DS started BLW at 5 months - took a roast potato off my plate and stuffed it into his mouth - it went everywhere but he enjoyed what he did manage to eat (I think). Never looked back.

RuthT Wed 30-Jul-08 22:26:50

Milco the link isn't working but I am really interested in reading it. I thought the guideance had changed but it seems to change frequently and I had thought it had gone back to 4 months.

fedupandisoltated I am very interested in BLW any more info on how to start?

Habbibu Wed 30-Jul-08 22:42:45

Aitch's blog, Ruth - www.babyledweaning.com. We loved it - lots of fun, very relaxed and very messy.

RuthT Wed 30-Jul-08 22:52:11

Wow, I am sorry but I just have to repeat this astoundingly stupid question that is going round my head - 'So you literally just give them solid food?' 'Don't they choke?' and last one I promise 'Do you need to wait to six months or can it be earlier?'

Habbibu Wed 30-Jul-08 23:07:12

Not stupid.
1. Pretty much, yes. You start with stuff that's very easily gummed - steamed pear, carrot, broccoli, and then gradually or not so gradually) just give them bits of what you're eating. They tend to take in less than puree-fed babies to start with, so milk feeds are important.
2. Very rarely - it's always possible that a baby will choke on food or whatever else it finds to shove in its mouth, so it's important to know what to do in that situation. The gag reflex tends to deal with most things pretty efficiently - many gag quite spectacularly (and there have been projectile vomiting incidents) but the baby then tends to carry on where he/she left off - parents often get a lot more stressed than the baby. The gagging thing is a natural reflex, and the baby generally learns to manage food in the mouth quite quickly.
3. The point of BLW is to wait until the baby is ready to self feed - should be able to sit up unsupported, hold food and get it to her mouth. Most babies can't do this until around the 6 month mark anyway, but some have done it earlier. Look on the forum on Aitch's blog for more, and ask there - loads of advice.

benandgerry Thu 31-Jul-08 08:17:45

see Archie for a demonstration of how much fun baby led weaning (and broccoli) can be.

Milco Thu 31-Jul-08 12:18:12

RuthT

Sorry - yes I can't get it to work either - sorry. A bit long-winded, but if you go to their home page:

www.nutrition.org.uk

Then go to Healthy Eating (top left), Nutrition through Life (option which appears on LHS), then Maternal and Infant Nutrition (and scan down), you'll find it.

ruddynorah Thu 31-Jul-08 12:31:11

fantastic vid benand gerry!! was that his first ever taste? love his carrot technique! or is it sweet potato?

benandgerry Thu 31-Jul-08 14:12:53

ruddynorah - isn't it a great video? I love the way he demonstrates the gag and spit method of getting rid of broccoli stalk. Its not mine though, I searched youtube, videojug etc for weaning clips to put on a compilation DVD to show to parents at weaning groups (I'm a HV). There are vids of babies having mush spooned into them with their arms restrained which makes a nice contrast to the baby led ones. I've found that showing is much more effective than telling when it comes to explaining baby led weaning to parents.

RuthT Thu 31-Jul-08 19:51:09

Only watched 3.15 mins but isn't it cute - am definately trying that

ExterminAitch Thu 31-Jul-08 21:16:42

i love when archie's dad gets all excited and starts swearing... grin he hangs around the blw forum, he's delighted with how many people are viewing that wee film, he only made it for his rellies.

decaffeinated Thu 31-Jul-08 21:34:46

It's sooo sweet! I can't believe how much of that broccoli Archie shoves in his mouth at one go. Anyone know how old he was when the vid was taken? Dad swearing's hilarious!

ExterminAitch Thu 31-Jul-08 21:47:32

six mos. that was his first-ever food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now