Talk

Advanced search

Switch to BLW?

(6 Posts)
chloemegjess Sun 27-Jul-08 18:51:25

Hi. Right, DD is nearly 7months and is spoon fed purees 3 meals a day.

She has been ill since thursday and has had almost no solids.

I am thinking about switching to BLW? Is this ok to do this far in to weaning? Will it confuse/upset my DD? Worried she is now used to solids too much, but if I am going to do it, now is the time as she has stopped solids herself temporarilly.

What do I do if she doesn't eat anything? I know milk is her main food etc but surely she should still have something?

She is also BF on demand.

What does anybody think? I have always given finger foods, and sometimes she is ok, others it will go straight on the floor. She likes strawberries whole, which is a start.

Also, I have carpet in my dining room - is this going to be a nightmare?

alittleteapot Sun 27-Jul-08 19:05:57

How is she with a spoon? Can she take it and feed herself or do you have to feed her? If she can feed herself I would continue to offer the purees but also finger food - as well as a range of flavours and textures blw is all about her being in control of feeding herself so a bit of stuff on a spoon is fine too. If she is spoon fed by you and has been taking a lot I don't see why she wouldn't take a lot blw too as her appetite wouldn't change, and I'm assuming you haven't been forcing it down her! but I'd probably do a sort of crossover period in which you did a bit of both to give you all time to get used to the new regime.

re carpet - get a large plastic sheet!

Not an expert by any means but blw has been wonderful and I would definitely do it again. If you dd is used to one way I personally would phase it in gently and not rely on the fact that she's been ill to start afresh.

Good luck smile

chloemegjess Sun 27-Jul-08 19:12:34

Thanks. I have been spoonfeeding her myself. I strarted off letting her feed herself, but I am afraid that I somehow ended up doing it myself...think to save time, waste, effort etc.

FeelingDeviant Sun 27-Jul-08 19:55:41

I switched to BLW for various reasons and haven;t looked back.
I had always given DD finger foods first, even if all of it ended up on the floor, before giving her purees. In the end, she was eating so much finger food that she was full and there was no point to the purees.

Maybe you could do something similar?
Also, I've always offered DD yoghurt with a spoon. In the early days I used to fill teh spoon for her and let her shovel it into her own mouth, or she would use her fingers. Nowadays she can use the spoon herself grin

Splashmat was the best investment I made as I could recycle the food straight back on her plate when she dropped it.

hth

chloemegjess Sun 27-Jul-08 19:58:40

whats a splashmat?

FeelingDeviant Sun 27-Jul-08 20:03:41

One of these
Or, you can buy a wipeable tablecloth from John Lewis.
Some people use cheap shower curtains but style is all important in my home grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now