Talk

Advanced search

how much food should a 9 month old be having?

(12 Posts)
StellaWasADiver Thu 24-Jul-08 13:47:09

Still BF on demand so not worried about milk intake, but I am back to work when he is 10.5 months so I will worry if he still eats so little then.

He is not interested in breakfast so I've stopped offering it - for about a month now, but maybe now is the time to try again? I will give him half a slice of toast mid-morning if I'm having a bit but he doesn't tend to eat it.

A typical lunch will be 2/3 sticks of babycorn (half eaten usually) and a bit of veggie pasta (spoon fed). Today he ate about an egg-cups worth. Usually then finish with fruit, a few strawberries or slices of watermelon which goes down well, or today a few spoonfuls of greek yoghurt, again maybe an egg-cup-ful.

Dinner varies between finger food if he can manage it (bit of veg and strips of chicken for example) spoon-feeding, or pots of Plum baby - he ^might ^ manage a whole one but there is usually something left.

I might offer him a couple of rice cakes or Organix things in the morning depending on how he seems.

Does this sound enough? Written out I wonder why I am worrying but it is the meagre amounts of something like the veggie pasta that has me worried.

StellaWasADiver Thu 24-Jul-08 17:25:43

ScarletPimpernel1976 Thu 24-Jul-08 17:50:40

Hi, I don't think that sounds terrible. Perhaps he just isn't really hungry because he still gets a lot of milk and thats satisfying him at the moment. My large BF (but cutting down) 9 month old is a gannet and seems to eat loads, she also gets a BF at 7am and one at 6.30pm before bed with a forumla feed at about 2.30pm after she wakes from her lunchtime sleep. Anyway, her food goes something like this (lots of my friends with similar aged babies don't get through half of the amount mine eats!):

Breakfast at 8ish - fingers of toast then bowl of wheetabix or readybrek with banana/berries

Lunch at 12pm - finger food (a mix of a few of these: bits of veg, raisins, rice cracker, cheese slices etc); then bowl of something like chicken stew, risotto or pasta etc, followed by some kind of fruit (e.g. third of a banana and some strawberries or an apricot), sometimes a rusk as well!

Dinner at 5: couple of finger food bits, bowl of food such as stew,etc and another fruity pud with yoghurt or something.

StellaWasADiver Thu 24-Jul-08 18:08:20

Wow, that is a lot Can they have raisins at 9 months? I thought they were a choking hazard. But it's great if they can as I tend to snack on them too...

I think maybe I could be a bit more persistent in cutting down the milk feeds? He does feed an awful lot and I must confess to getting very tired of it - well I don't want to stop, and still love it, but you know, it takes it's toll!

MadamePlatypus Thu 24-Jul-08 18:13:28

I wouldn't worry. At 9 months I think its far more important that food is interesting and varied than that they eat a certain amount. I really think that at this age they are learning about eating rather than eating because they need three square meals a day. It sounds as though you are doing fine.

ThingOne Thu 24-Jul-08 18:17:59

You'll probably find he will eat more when you go back to work and there is less breastmilk around. IMO quite a lot of babies don't eat very much at this stage. As he's bf on demand no worries with nutrition.

princessglitter Thu 24-Jul-08 18:21:16

My nine month old eats about the same amount and is bf on demand. I work part time and when I'm at work she eats a lot more.

ScarletPimpernel1976 Fri 25-Jul-08 08:38:21

Stella - I tried out raisins on her a couple of weeks ago but have been biting them in half for her first. They are her new favourite thing - she can't get enough! She very rarely gags on anything these days so thought they'd be fine.

Tinkjon Fri 25-Jul-08 19:59:11

My 10.5 month old doesn't eat as much as that!

He's been having raisins for some time though - too small to be a choking hazard, I'd have thought.

bergentulip Fri 25-Jul-08 20:16:23

My 8mth old eats-

6am bottle milk
7.30am baby muesli, some yoghurt, and maybe fruit.

11.30 water
solid meal with veg and meat, rice/ potato/ something I can feed him on a spoon though, then some slices of mango, perhaps a bit more yoghurt.

2.30pm bottle milk

5.30 tea of baby rice and fruit, other bits and pieces to munch on, piece of bread perhaps.

6.30 bottle milk

3 solid meals, 3 6scoop bottles of milk.

ILikeYourSleeves Fri 25-Jul-08 21:31:54

My 9 month old doesn't eat huge quantities either, compared to some others the same age anyway. A usual day (unless he is on hunger strike which happens every now and then) is:

5am ish- breastfeed from both boobs

830am ish- bits of toast (takes only a few bites), baby cereal (made with about 50ml milk), sometimes half a fruitpura pot

12pm- egg cup size of mush plus finger foods eg cheese, bread, veg. Desert- half to whole fruitpura

5pm- same as lunchtime

630pm- breastfeed from both boobs

If we are at home all day he usually gets a boob snack mid PM, don't really do this when out now. He also often has a ricecake or few during the day.

So it sounds like he's like your DS re intake. Have you had DS's weight checked recently? My DS is following the same centile so I know he's taking what he needs. I don't think you have anything to worry about tho

Caz10 Sat 26-Jul-08 21:27:28

ilikeyoursleeves is your LO only on 2 feeds a day then? BF I mean?

Stella my dd is 8mths and almost exactly the same as yours food-wise.

BF on demand too, but she is qutie regular about when she "demands" and will normally feed at approx

6am
10am
1pm
4pm
6pm

sometimes a 5pm-ish one thrown in there for good measure too, plus at least one at night.

I know if we were bottle feeding there is an amount they should be getting (20oz a day i think?) but don't know how to tell that with BF?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now