Talk

Advanced search

Can i freeze Philadelphia

(17 Posts)
megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 15:05:01

I would like to cook dd 11mo some pasta and stir some philadelphia and broccoli through it if i do a large batch can i postion it up and freeze it?

Advice appreciated.

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 15:22:51

boing

fishnet Tue 22-Jul-08 15:24:34

Hmm - I'm no cooking expert but would have thought it might be dodgy with it being soft cheese

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 15:24:39

not sure re philadelphia but if you make a proper white or cheese sauce it'll be fine.

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 15:25:19

NB there are no worries re the safety of frozen soft cheese, just the texture will suffer and/or it may separate on reheating.

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 15:26:06

ok Mrs B but that will involve cooking....please watch evening news for explosion in rural area.......

Thank you for the replies.

ExterminAitch Tue 22-Jul-08 15:28:01

pasta's not great for freezing either, tbh. it's a ten min meal from fresh, though. pasta on, half way through broccoli into either water or steamer basket, drain and mix with philly (and might i also recommend a blob of pesto, madame? wink)

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 15:43:13

Ye are fierce optimistic on me not blowing up the house!! Pesto sounds great though.

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 15:45:42

I was also about to cook a patch of cauliflower cheese and pop some pasta in that and freeze it, not a good idea?

The reason is preparing food for dd for nursery the days she is there and she not a starchy fan so was heading the pasta route.

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 15:46:46

cauliflower cheese is cheese sauce, not just philly, so will probably cope better.

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 15:51:21

So the pasta should be ok?

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 15:53:22

should be ok - not as nice as fresh but not bad. After all, lasagne freezes fine, and that's just pasta bake...

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 15:54:42

Valid point madame, am wishing i had done home economics instead of art at school now!

ExterminAitch Tue 22-Jul-08 15:56:58

i think with a big fatty cheesy sauce the pasta would be fine, iykwim? macaroni freezes well, although it's not al dente etc when it comes out. but with a big blousy sauce it doesn't need to be, iykwim?

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 16:00:48

Will try all suggestions dd is on strike re eating again and it's getting sould destroying cooking, freezing, not eating and throwing away constantly.

ExterminAitch Tue 22-Jul-08 16:09:11

it's rubbish, that, isn't it? that's when leftovers really come into their own... our freezer's full of them. grin

megcleary Tue 22-Jul-08 16:13:46

have had a blinding flash of insight just because she can't have frozen food reheated twice doesn't mean i can't ......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now