Talk

Advanced search

Bread sticks without salt?

(11 Posts)
Dawnie6577 Mon 21-Jul-08 13:24:02

Hi,
I would like to try breadsticks with my 9 month old, but they all seem to have salt in them. Does anyone know any that don't?
I thought salt should be avoided until they are a year old or does it not matter in foods like this?
Thanks
Dawn.

Brangelina Mon 21-Jul-08 13:28:52

The salt quantity is the same as in bread, so if you've been giving bread then I wouldn't worry. Obviusly avoid the salt encrusted variety, but plain ones will be OK. Just check they weren't made with hydrogentaed fat.

My DD has been having breadsticks since she was 7mo. They have been a major sanity saver for mesmile

snooks Mon 21-Jul-08 13:31:56

agree with brangelina re the salt thing. Breadsticks are a lifesaver because their little hands can hold them so easily without dropping them (too often wink).

Bet your LO will love them.

talilac Mon 21-Jul-08 13:35:21

There is a waitrose one without I think.. From the perfectly balanced range

Dawnie6577 Mon 21-Jul-08 13:39:42

Thanks Brangelina and Snooks, much appreciated. That is useful to know. Sometimes it is easier to be overcautious with what I give him! Mind you, I tried him with egg last week and he ended up with bright pink ears, nose and eyelids. Guess will be avoiding that for a while!!!
Thanks again x

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 13:40:27

M&S ones seem to be v low in salt (and they taste nice)

snooks Mon 21-Jul-08 13:57:40

actually, come to think of it, i'm sure there used to be some 'baby' breadsticks you could buy made by someone like heinz. ds2 is over 2 now so i don't know if you can still get them (apologies if you've already checked the babyfood aisle).

Tinkjon Fri 25-Jul-08 20:11:18

When you find some you like, smear Philly on the end of them - fab

lulu25 Fri 25-Jul-08 20:13:47

you can make them, and reduce the salt

bread (sticks) without any salt is vile

fourlittlefeet Fri 25-Jul-08 20:15:49

you can put sesame seeds or herbs when making your own to increase flavour. Any bread made without salt is vile (in my opinion). have forgotton it on some occasions and had to make eggy bread and bread and butter puddings with it!

Dawnie6577 Sat 26-Jul-08 08:57:27

thank you for your messages, i think making them might be beyond my cooking capacity unfortunately!
i will try the places suggested, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now