Talk

Advanced search

finger foods at 6mths?????

(8 Posts)
mum2samandalex Fri 18-Jul-08 17:19:40

Hes 6 mths toaday although i have gave him pureed food for 2 wks now and is happily on 3 meals a day. Im all confused about BLW and what i can and cant give him. Can i give him finger foods now and if so whats best to start with. And can he have dairy now? so many questions sorry.

MrsTiddles Fri 18-Jul-08 19:21:35

if he can pick up finger food, he can try it.

My 7 mth dd has just started with little bits of soft bread. She clutches it and nibbles a bit off, squashes the rest in her fist and / or drops it on the floor and then wants more. But its a start.

If he can hold it and put it to his mouth, he may well be ready but they're all different.

OverMyDeadBody Fri 18-Jul-08 19:25:13

If he can pick it up himself, then he can eat it.

Dairy is fine now, just keep an eye out for allergic reactions.

The only thing you can't give him is honey (and salt obviously). All other recommendations (eggs, wheat, berries, shellfish etc.) is down to possible allergic reactions so you can try him on a bit and if after a day there is no reaction it's probably safew to give him.

Have you visited Aitch's blog? Everything you need to know about BLW there.

jafina Fri 18-Jul-08 19:32:40

try carrot sticks, cooked but not mushy
pieces of banana
grated cheese
toast fingers
rounds of cucumber
pieces of pasta, cooked quite soft

and anything you are having that is not too salty (might want to avoid the red-hot chillies too!!)

Bumperlicious Fri 18-Jul-08 19:46:37

Rice cakes and homous
Pear/peach (I didn't even remove the skin)
Roasted veg

StellaWasADiver Fri 18-Jul-08 20:06:15

babycorn, steamed or boiled
pitta bread with houmous or philly, or egg mayo
strawberries and raspberries are a favourite here at the moment
toast with the thinnest scrape of marmite

ChairmumMiaow Sun 20-Jul-08 20:04:31

DS is 6 months today and has been BLW on fruit and veg for 3 weeks.

His favourites include mango (skin gives something good to hold), brocolli with a nice long stalk, and today, breadsticks and cheese on toast (small finger of)

We haven't really had any gagging incidents :-)

fleacircus Mon 21-Jul-08 14:39:59

There are some suggestions of finger foods to try in that Birth to Five book - online here if you don't have a copy although your HV should have given you one. DD is still on mashed veg and fruit at lunchtime but really enjoys feeding herself dinner, although I still help her with the spoon when necessary as she gets a bit confused about which end to put in and then all upset when there's no food on it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now