Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

11 months and still on pureed food...what am i doing wrong

(11 Posts)
DD1ofcolandgerry Fri 18-Jul-08 15:50:34

My DS is 11 months and simply refuses any meals that are not pureed. He also eats bread, toast, rice cakes and organix crisp snacks. I am trying desperately to thicken his dinners, but he just gaggs and vomits if it is not to his liking.

I am open to all offers of help and advice.

oh yea, and he will take hipp organic stage 3 meals, but if my home cooked stuff is remotely lumpy, its puke puke time

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

witchandchips Fri 18-Jul-08 15:53:36

Liquid with lumps in is actually quite an odd thing to it imo. Just try him with soft but solid bits of food (cooked veg batons, rice, flakes of fish). My guess he would just like to move straight onto these

ruddynorah Fri 18-Jul-08 15:54:02

if he likes bread and toast have you tried cheese on toast? sandwiches?

it's quite common to gag on lumps but be fine with normal texture foods.

Sidge Fri 18-Jul-08 15:54:18

The fact that he can manage bread, toast and rice cakes means that it's not a physical problem, so I would just give him chopped up food, whatever you're having.

Lumpy food can be hard for babies as they don't quite know what to do with it - they often slurp it like they would have done with purees then come across a lump and gag.

When my DD3 was that age (she's now 22 months) I just stuck some of whatever we were having on her highchair tray and let her get stuck in! She particularly likes roast dinners!

MrsBadger Fri 18-Jul-08 15:55:25

try other finger foods - controlling it himself rather than having it spooned in often helps

ruddynorah Fri 18-Jul-08 15:56:11

he'll probably do better if you let him control what he puts in his mouth too. so give him the lumpy food or whatever but let him pick it up.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 18-Jul-08 15:56:58

just give him some bits of chopped up whatever you are having and some veg like carrot batons and brocolli florets and see how he gets on.
pasta shapes are good too

<realises she has just repeated everything else here>

jojosmaman Fri 18-Jul-08 15:59:01

Agree with what the others have said, I wouldnt bother with the lumpy or pureed food, I'd just give steamed veg, soft fruit, toast, bread etc and let him get on with it. I did baby led weaning with ds so didnt puree/ mash anything and we had quite a few gagging/ regurgitating episodes early on but he soon got the hang of it. Sometimes when they are able to control what they swallow they are less likely to gag if that makes sense? Good luck!

DD1ofcolandgerry Fri 18-Jul-08 19:39:51

Thanks for all the advice,

I have tried carrot battons, but he makes a face suggesting he dosnt like them and then squeezes them to mush. Does the same with banana, and point blank refuses to let any pass his lips, Broccoli has the same effect!!!. Its almost like he firstly dosent like the feel of them, so decides that they are not going in the mouth. In fact, anything remotely damp brings on a look of disgust. Has anyone else experienced this reaction???

dd1

ruddynorah Sat 19-Jul-08 17:34:48

what do you mean 'refuses'? is he refusing you? are you letting him just get on with it, no big deal type thing? have you tried a sandwich?

weebump Mon 21-Jul-08 00:29:28

Every time my little one tastes something, even tried and tested favourites, she pulls a face as if to say "What fresh hell is this?". Then she has a think about it, and within a few minutes she' usually downing it. Maybe your little one needs a few minutes to get used to the food?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now