Talk

Advanced search

|Finger food recipes please. Easy to cook, freeze and reheat - DS is 8 mths old

(10 Posts)
Holymoly321 Thu 17-Jul-08 19:36:00

DS is 8mths and prefers to feed himself then let me spoon feed him. But he can't live on ricecakes and toast alone! But I can't really cook from scratch every time it's meal time - have a rampant toddler to deal with! Any one got good easy but healthy recipes that I can batch cook, freeze ad then reheat at mealtimes?

sannie Thu 17-Jul-08 20:54:20

i used to give ds eggy bread he used to love it before he reached the i hate everything that isn't fish fingers phase whch is what we are stuck in....i know you can't freeze it but it's quick...

you could also make up some tomato sauce,blend some veggies in and freeze and then use with pasta - i found pasta twists made the best finger food.....i saw someone recommend philly as a quick pasta sauce the other day with maybe some sweetcorn/carrots etc in,.....

you could check out Finger Food for Babies and Toddlers by Jennie Maizels (on amazon)...some of the recipes involve baking which is a bit fiddly but it does have some good ideas......

EffiePerine Thu 17-Jul-08 20:56:10

What about veg samosas (without much spice of course)

nobodytoldme Thu 17-Jul-08 21:56:07

Salmon fishcakes although tonight is the first batch I froze, will probaby have to defrost at room temp. Veg pasta sauce is a good one. I also make tiny sandwiches with whatever is in the fridge - avocado and cream cheese is a favourite, or mashed banana with some grated carrot on the side.
Risotto is surprisingly finger-friendly too!

Holymoly321 Thu 17-Jul-08 22:08:10

hi nobody - what was the recipe for the salmon fishcakes? And do you freeze them beofer or after making them? Effie, do you have a recipe for the veg samosas? Would love to give them a whirl!

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 22:10:32

I saved leftovers for dd from our meals - bits of chicken, green beans, potato wedges etc - in boxes in the fridge and microwaved them...

nobodytoldme Fri 18-Jul-08 10:25:04

Just mashed potatoes and I poached some salmon then flaked into the mash. I added a few chives when I had them around, otherwise plain is fine. Then coat in egg and flour or breadcrumbs (depends on how organised I am, usually flour then!) and fry in a little oil or butter.
I freeze them in a tupperware box already made up, defrost at room temp or in the fridge then fry but make sure well heated through.
I make plenty of fish and spud and add seasoning for me and DH, lovely with stirfried veg and a little sweet chilli sauce

Holymoly321 Fri 18-Jul-08 13:21:01

hi nobody - that sounds yum! will give it a try

jafina Fri 18-Jul-08 19:42:42

I freeze tomato sauce and cheese sauce in icecube trays and take out a cube the night before to have with pasta, makes just enough for 1 lo.

Also meatballs and fishcakes but you do have to cook them for a bit.

Other lunch faves are pitta with houmous sandwiches and plain pasta with grated cheese.

A cold lunch idea is half a banana and a babybel, my dd is quite keen at the moment!!

ExterminAitch Fri 18-Jul-08 19:44:37

there are zillions of recipes at www.babyledweaning.com and it's worth looking at the recipes section of the forum as well. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now