Talk

Advanced search

Can I give this to my DD?

(15 Posts)
chloemegjess Tue 15-Jul-08 19:55:15

Hello. I bought some cod fillets today as they were reduced in tesco. Me and DH wouldnt eat it, but I was planning to cook, blend and freeze for DD as she doesnt have any fish at the mo. However, I just read the pack when reading how to cook...and it has the bones and skin.

I am not really a fish person so I have no idea what to do with them. How do I get the bones out?

Is this safe to give my 6month old DD?

sarah293 Tue 15-Jul-08 19:56:26

Message withdrawn

nickytwotimes Tue 15-Jul-08 19:57:50

I wouldn't, personallly.
You'll never get all the bones out and she is quite wee to eat any more than a tiny bit of protein at all really.

chloemegjess Tue 15-Jul-08 19:58:14

She does still have mainly veg purees, She is actually nearly 7months old.

There is no reason why they should only have veges though

chloemegjess Tue 15-Jul-08 19:59:09

ok nicky, thanks. Thats a shame! Will freeze it and then see if I can find somebody who wants it!

Ceolas Tue 15-Jul-08 19:59:28

If you are at all worried about allergies, I definitely wouldn't. Milk, eggs and fish are the most likely to cause a reaction so I'd hold off a bit longer if I were you.

nickytwotimes Tue 15-Jul-08 20:02:08

chloe, maybe next door's cat, lol! wink

chloemegjess Tue 15-Jul-08 20:02:10

I thought all those things were fine from 6months allergy wise as long as there is no family history?

chloemegjess Tue 15-Jul-08 20:02:56

I have cats, I didnt even think of giving it to them! Maybe they will have a treat tonight!

weebump Tue 15-Jul-08 23:15:54

freeze them and then give them to her in a couple of months time?

fleacircus Wed 16-Jul-08 15:16:04

The 'Birth to Five' book recommends giving one or two servings of meat, fish, egg, tofu or pulses a day. It's in the 'Giving More Solids' bit, they must be talking about babies aged 6-9mths as 9-12mths comes later in the chapter.

Have you got a mouli?

witchandchips Wed 16-Jul-08 15:20:22

should be fine. pieces of cod are really good as first taste of protein as they are reasonably solid (so you can hold onto them) and they melt in the month

I would simply steam and put a few flakes (that way you can be sure than there are no bones) and see what she makes of it

The other option is to skin + debone and make a fish pie to mush up and spoon feed. It all depends on how you are weaning her

chloemegjess Wed 16-Jul-08 22:26:13

Witch - How do I debone though? Never done anything with fish! It is in the freezer now, but can get out on monday (we are going away for the weekend). I would really like her to have it if its safe

witchandchips Thu 17-Jul-08 10:17:18

cod fillets don't have big pieces of bone but may have little spiky bits that you need to remove. When cooked you will find that it flakes quite easily and in doing so you will be able to remove these bones.
If you are just doing it for your dd i would first steam it and then cut into small dd size portions (1 inch cubed or thereabouts). Leave one out and put the rest in the freezer. Serve by flaking into onto her feeding tray or plastic plate.

chloemegjess Tue 22-Jul-08 18:27:10

Thank you witch and chips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now