Talk

Advanced search

Come and reassure pfb mummy about gagging please!

(18 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Mon 14-Jul-08 23:27:12

Me again...blush

We're three days into blw and I'm convinced I'm accidentally going to kill dd! She has had rice cakes, toast and banana and done a lot of gagging. I have read the blog and know it's not choking but it really looks like it. I can still see her little frightened face and I'm really worried about continuing.

Help me see sense. I don't want to kill her

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Jul-08 07:30:18

Just stay calm and watch her. Gagging isn't a problem, she's still breathing, it's all ok.

WigWamBam Tue 15-Jul-08 07:49:00

Gagging is OK - it's just a reflex reaction to the new sensation of food touching the back of her mouth.

It's very different to choking and really won't hurt her.

gagarin Tue 15-Jul-08 08:00:13

Go with your gut feelings - if she's scared she should soon start to look at food with panic in her eyes too.

If she gags, looks frightened and then grabs another bit IMO she's fine!

But if she gags, gasps, crys and that's the end of the meal because she doesn't want to do it any more then you may be right to go down another route.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Jul-08 08:05:30

She may be scared because her mum is scared?

EyeballsintheSky Tue 15-Jul-08 08:27:07

That could well be true. Despite thinking I'd prepared myself for it I still panicked a bit when she did it. Well I guess I'll persevere and try to stay calm. See how she reacts without me freaking out and take it from there. Thanks all

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Jul-08 08:34:22

Gagging is a bit scary. I was (reasonably) relaxed about it with DS2, but then, he was my second. Deep breaths, and watch her breathing. Watch her resolutely not turning blue. She can sort out the food at the back of her throat, all on her own.

chunkypudding Tue 15-Jul-08 14:03:16

my ds gagged and then projectile vomited. a lot. all over me as we don't yet have a highchair and when he gagged i turned him round on my lap to see if he was ok.

scared the crap out of me, as well as covering most of my clothes and filling my bra. he recovered almost immediately tho.

and dp found it hilarious (watched the whole thing...)

i posted on here as i was a bit freaked out and someone told me that at the beginning the gag refex can get a bit carried away.

he hasn't done it since but i know what you mean about these things making you feel nervous! i'm in full-on beat yourself up about your abilities as a mother mode at the moment as it is, and things like that don't help!!! (also pfb)

SummatAnNowt Tue 15-Jul-08 15:15:45

ds gagged on food till he was nearly 3, it was awful. I never let him see I was worried because I didn't want to give him issues. I used to run over what to do with a choking child in my head until it passed so it was all nice and fresh if I had to do it.

I also resisted the temptation to only give him foods he wouldn't gag on because I didn't want to set up problems for later.

MamaChris Tue 15-Jul-08 16:30:03

SummatAnNowt - what do you do with a choking child?

Hopeysgirlwasntbig Tue 15-Jul-08 16:37:01

under 1, whilst holding baby on your arm, head pointing down, or across lap - up to five taps between shoulder blade (using fingers only)

if that doesn't work,

turn baby over, then up to 5 chest thrusts, 2 fingers between the nipples and push down about a 3rd of depth of baby's chest,

if that still doesn't work continue

Over 1,
child over lap or floor, 5 back slaps between shoulder blades,

if doesn't work

turn child over, up to 5 chest thrusts, one hand between nipples, again about 3rd depth.

if that doesn't work,

up to five abdominal thrust,
make a fist and place your other hand the first, make a scooping in and up motion, starting at the belly button. You're trying to force air up out of the lungs to propel the object.

NEVER to abdominal thrusts on a baby, and if you have performed them on your child, the child must go to hospital to be checked out.

HTH

(I used to teach it)

Hopeysgirlwasntbig Tue 15-Jul-08 16:42:27

ps, if a baby or child is coughing, they have an airway and they can normally sort themselves out, so please don't go diving in!

It's when they can't make any noise, eyes bulging and potentially lips going blue (cyanosis) that's proper choking.

MamaChris Tue 15-Jul-08 17:18:11

thanks Hopeys. that's very clear. hoping I'll never need to know it, but feel more confident knowing it. if that makes sense

EyeballsintheSky Tue 15-Jul-08 17:54:27

Ooh thanks Hopeys. That's really useful to know. I was watching her yesterday thinking, what do you do with a choking child?? Am very tempted to seek out the nearest class but then I guess you'd need a class for every possible ailment with pfbs!

Hopeysgirlwasntbig Wed 16-Jul-08 14:36:27

My pleasure.

Please if you can though, attend a paed training course. Sometimes they are provided free of charge, depending on your area. It's always good to have a practical demonstration.

Am hoping you never have to use it, but it's vital to know! smile x x

MamaChris Wed 16-Jul-08 18:11:13

How do you find out where they're available Hopeys?

Hopeysgirlwasntbig Thu 17-Jul-08 10:35:21

Your health visitor may have info. Or courses are often run in conjunction with local councils. x x

gagarin Thu 17-Jul-08 20:34:36

Look up St John Ambulance - they do them round our way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now