Talk

Advanced search

BLWers - My experience: careful with skins/peels!!!

(6 Posts)
anonymxxx Mon 14-Jul-08 05:34:19

DS is 7.5 months and BLW. He loves his food and over the weeks we have both become more confident in the whole eating thing.

But - here is what happened: I gave him unpeeled apple slices in the afternoon (he normally eats the good part and drops skins). Then 1h play, bath, BF. He seemed to gag while BF, but I thought it's just the milk squirting against the back of his throat. After long BF I put him on his back and he he was almost asleep.

I do not know but some seventh sense
kicked in and I pried (sp?) his mouth open. He had stored a whole apple slice peel in there and had been repeatedly gagging on it.

Well, maybe he would have slept with it and spit it our during the night or the next day But he had it in his mouth for hours ...

So we have a no peel/no sking policy in our house now and I inspect mouth before sleeps.

I do no want to scare anybody but thought I share, especially because I am a big fan of BLW!

naturelover Mon 14-Jul-08 14:09:56

My advice is also to inspect mouths before breastfeeding, after my DD bit down on a bit of apple peel she had been "storing" in her cheek. Needless to say my nipple was in the way when she did - ouch!

mamabea Mon 14-Jul-08 20:03:41

you know, that's the third 'apple' story I've heard in as many days, those darned pesky apples!

mamabea Mon 14-Jul-08 20:04:19

naturelover now it's my fourth!

snorris Mon 14-Jul-08 20:15:20

Glad no harm came your LO, but I'm curious why you don't peel apples first .

anonymxxx Tue 15-Jul-08 05:45:20

Hmm. Maybe I should have read more boards/blogs. I had not seen any apple stories...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now