Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk and constipation in 14 month old?

(2 Posts)
Jan2 Fri 11-Jul-08 11:00:20

Recently switched my DD's milk from Cow & Gate formula to just cows milk which I gradually used to dilute the formula. She was happy to drink just the cows milk and has an 8oz bottle with breakfast and the same before bed in the evening.

She has always been fine but over the past few weeks has been constipated and struggling to go to the loo. I linked it to the change in milk and so have started added a few oz of formula back in with the cows milk as it has prebiotics in it which are supposed to help the gut. She seemed to improve when I did this but isn't quite back to normal and still seems to struggle some days.

She has a healthy diet and drinks plenty of water so I really don't think that it's dehydration which is what the HV said.

I've been giving her prune juice (which she actually likes would you believe) and fruit etc.

Has anyone else had this problem and could it be the cows milk? someone told my husband that you're supposed to water down cows milk but I've been told they need full fat cows milk and it's fine.

Any advice would be gratefully received!...

egypt Fri 11-Jul-08 11:09:59

oh, this would be interesting to know. dd2 is 15 months and has been constipated on and off for a few weeks. she drinks cow's milk. i too mixed it with formula for a bit but the last month i guess, she has been just on cow's. hmmm.

she's not dehydrated either.

no you shouldn't water it down, they need the calories. and, tbh, my dd drinks a lot blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now