Talk

Advanced search

Is boil in the bag fish in parsley sauce a bad thing to give DD?

(14 Posts)
RGPargy Thu 10-Jul-08 16:57:44

I dont eat fish, with the exception of the odd fishfinger or fishcake (if you can call them "fish") and on a very rare occasion i'll have a boil in the bag thing. Is this a bad thing to give DD, 7 months? Thought it would fall apart in her mouth so would be easy to eat.

TIA!

uberalice Thu 10-Jul-08 17:01:37

Check the salt content. If it's not too high, then I'd say it's ok once in a while. 7 month old should get less than 1g or salt per day (0.4g sodium, I think).

Sazisi Thu 10-Jul-08 17:04:36

I wouldn't - the sauce is bound to contain salt, and you could rinse it off but the fish will have absorbed some during cooking.

orangina Thu 10-Jul-08 17:06:32

too much salt at a guess....

RGPargy Thu 10-Jul-08 17:06:45

The whole thing is 0.41g sodium, but i'm guessing that would mainly be in the sauce, which i'm not planning on actually giving to DD. The only other thing she's had is a slice of milk roll and that's got 0.08g sodium in.

I could always give it to her tomorrow and just give her sweet potato wedges for tea.

RGPargy Thu 10-Jul-08 17:10:37

hmmm ok, maybe i wont then.... hmm

ChopsTheDuck Thu 10-Jul-08 17:15:40

If you only want her to have the fish, just drizzle a little olive oil on some cod fillets, cover with foil, bung in the oven and roast them. very easy to do and they will be succulent too.

RGPargy Thu 10-Jul-08 19:25:44

Can you buy cod fillets without the black skin on them?? I really dont do fish, y'know..... hmm

missblythe Thu 10-Jul-08 19:26:47

If you buy it from the fish counter, you can ask the person to take the skin off for you.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Thu 10-Jul-08 19:27:30

You can yes!

cmotdibbler Thu 10-Jul-08 19:37:52

Shes not going to eat the whole thing, so no problem. Important not to get hung up on salt content if you don't add it to cooking and only use packaged food once a week, I think.

nailpolish Thu 10-Jul-08 19:39:15

best thing for a wee one is lemon sole

contains absolutely no bones

fsihmonger will skin for you

those boil in bag are prob expensive too

TeaDr1nker Thu 10-Jul-08 19:45:59

you can get frozen cod fillets - or any fish for that matter, which is rather economical, then make your own parsley sauce for it...

RGPargy Thu 10-Jul-08 20:21:51

Thanx everyone, some good ideas there (she had sweet potato in the end). Think i'll look into getting a small piece of skinless and boneless fish for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now