Talk

Advanced search

What time for dinner at 6months?

(10 Posts)
chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 16:32:22

Hello. Just wondering what time your LOs have their evening meal?

I started off saying 5pm, but she is quite tired and grumpy by then and she wont sit in her high chair if tired.

If I make it 4pm, or even a little bit earlier, will there then be too much gap between food and bedtime? DD is still BF on demand between meals, but BM doesnt seem to fill her up, and at night I often end up giving a bottle as she is still hungry after a breastfeed and wont sleep. hmm

Anyway, what time would you suggest offering solids?

OverMyDeadBody Wed 09-Jul-08 16:33:19

When they're hungry

witchandchips Wed 09-Jul-08 16:38:27

nurseries generally have a rule of thumb of offering some food at least every 3 hours for slightly older children but if she is firmly on solids already then it might hold true for her

So if she gets lunch at 12, then she might be ready for a snack at 3ish. Lunch at 1, then she might want tea at 4 and then a light snack just before bed at 7.

DanJARMouse Wed 09-Jul-08 16:41:19

DS is 7mnths

We feed him at 7.30am, 12 noon and 5pm

He has milk feed in between, and occasionally a snack, but at this age milk is their biggest source of nutrition.

Food is fun til one

chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 16:42:54

Thanks witch and chips.

Overmydeadbody - I obviously know about when she is hungry, but being only 6month old, breastmilk is stil her main food, so she doesnt always have solids when she is hungry, she has breastmilk alot of the time. If I gave her solids every time she was hungry, she wouldnt get enough milk.
I am still interested in finding out about your babyfood buissness by the way!

OverMyDeadBody Wed 09-Jul-08 16:53:05

I just meant don't worry too much about sticking to a rigid timetable, you could take it day by day and aim for anywhere between 4 and 5pm.

Oops, sorry, I knew there was something I was meant to be emailing someone! Things have been rather busy lately, but I will get back to you by the end of the week I promise! (I am working while MNing, honest grin)

bubblagirl Wed 09-Jul-08 17:02:06

at that age i went with mood of ds didnt start set routines for meals until ds was more alert and active

if more tired fed earlier if alert fed later nearer bed but would feed earlier and out ds down earlier for bed at that age and did a dream feed before i went to bed

designerbaby Wed 09-Jul-08 19:31:39

Why not keep to tea at 5ish and give her a 10 minute power nap at 4.45 if she's looking tired or hasn't slept well...

This is what I do with DD as she won't eat if tired... it's not enough to affect bedtime, but just enough to get them through tea and a bath etc.

Worth a try?

db
xx

chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 21:57:16

Good idea DB. We have never had a strict routine, and wouldnt want one. But now she is on 3 meals a day etc I like to have a rough idea of our day planned out in my head. But if she is tired, I will let her sleep, if hngry she feeds etc. So basically just a guide and if it works it works.

loucee Wed 09-Jul-08 23:03:36

My DS is 6 and a bit months old and has his tea at 5pm with DD (2.4). Like DB suggested, my DB often has 30 min nap at 4.30 and then is refreshed for tea. We have a bit playtime after tea then bathtime is a huge event! By the time I'm reading the bedtime stories he is really shattered and goes to bed at 7pm without any bother at all. He's fully breastfed as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now