Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask the BLWs a question about a 24wo non-sitting baby please?

(15 Posts)
beansprout Wed 09-Jul-08 10:51:42

Ds2 is 24 weeks and showing no signs of sitting. He hasn't even rolled over yet so I don't think he is going to sit up any time soon.

I am happy to keep b/feeding (even though we are currently in the middle of a growth spurt and I'm exhausted!), but do I just keep going until he is sitting up or is there something else that I do around 6 or even 7 months if he is not sitting by then?

Sorry to ask such silly questions. I didn't do this with ds1 and am currently swimming against the tide of my RL peer group who have all been feeding their babies rice and other stuff for weeks now.

TIA smile

2point4kids Wed 09-Jul-08 10:54:18

I am pretty sure you can start blw at 6 months even if baby isnt sitting unaided yet.
As long as he can pick up and put food in his mouth by himself then he will be fine!

DS1 didnt sit up till nearly 9 months!

RegenerAitch Wed 09-Jul-08 10:55:23

i dunno, i'd probably wait tbh. he might crack it next week and then you'll be wondering why you worried about it. i do remember dd could sit up when we started, but she wasn't perfect at it, although she was fine in her highchair.
i do seem to remember sitting her on my knee in cafes and letting her lurch for stuff as well.

beansprout Wed 09-Jul-08 11:03:35

Ok, maybe I'll keep him on my lap when I am eating and let him decide!

RegenerAitch Wed 09-Jul-08 11:05:21

that's the ticket! grin

MrsJamin Wed 09-Jul-08 13:11:29

Just to add, the sitting thing is because they are much safer to eat with a nice straight back that they get when they can sit unaided. It either makes it less likely that they choke, or if they do, they can cope with it better. It's not just about a 'sign that they're ready', it's about safety.

RegenerAitch Wed 09-Jul-08 13:15:12

true story, mrsj. it's not a postural preference.

beansprout Wed 09-Jul-08 13:17:43

So, can I ask (with a 24wo non sitting baby) should I really just leave it until he is sitting even if that takes a while? He is not even rolling over yet.

RegenerAitch Wed 09-Jul-08 13:26:04

as i say, it's up to you. the guideline nowadays for all weaning is that sitting up is a definer of 'readiness', not just BLW afaia. that's partly where the 6 mos thing comes in. basically if i were you i wouldn't even think about it for a fortnight or so, see what changes occur. he might surprise you in any case, but it's certainly not worht worrying about in advance iykwim? as i say, dd could sit without slumping, so i felt that was within the definition, but it's not like she could sit confidently for twenty minutes without toppling backwards.

yomellamoHelly Wed 09-Jul-08 13:27:20

My ds2 is now 19 months and still cannot sit unsupported. Until a few months ago I fed him in his pushchair (which quickly looked and smelt gross). By which I mean I held the bowl or plate and he helped himself. A couple of months ago I decided he was ready for a bumbo so he can now sit at the table with us (though he's still quite wobbly). Otherwise some highchair designs are quite enclosed and supportive and would accomodate a non-sitter I'm sure if you don't mind sacrificing the space. Ds2 is happy to eat wherever or whatever position he's in.

nappyaddict Wed 09-Jul-08 14:02:25

my ds didn't sit until 8/9 months and also didn't pick things up do blw with til 9/10 months or maybe it was the other way around i can't remember. anyway it seems to prove the theory that when they can sit up they are ready.

beansprout Wed 09-Jul-08 14:29:42

Ah thanks. I wanted to ask the BLW crowd so I didn't get any of the baby-rice-at-17-weeks-and-she-was-fine type answers!! Ds1 was big and didn't want food until 7 months so I know there is no rush.

Thanks for all your replies. smile

nappyaddict Wed 09-Jul-08 14:37:30

just found an old post i made on here to put your mind at ease

"hello! haven't posted in a while so here goes. some of you may remember i was having problems with BLW because ds just wouldn't pick any of the food up off his tray. he finally did this at 8 months. then it took til 10 months for him to even try and put it anywhere near his mouth. finally at 10.5 months he can now feed himself!

ds was quite a late sitter - 9 months and has made no effort to crawl. he has never liked being on the floor especially his tummy so never thought he would anyway.

in the last couple of weeks he has started doing this bouncing thing when sitting so he may bum shuffle i am thinking. however he has just started walking around holding my hands. only problem is he wants me to do this all the time. i just wish he would learn to get around by himself - crawl/bum shuffle/pull up and walk around the furniture - something!!

he has just started waving bye bye aswell. its honestly like in the last 2 weeks a little switch went on his head head."

beansprout Wed 09-Jul-08 14:48:32

Thanks nappyaddict, that's really helpful and good to hear! smile

simpson Wed 09-Jul-08 19:27:47

Beansprout - glad you started this thread. Definately got a few pointers for myself!!I am in exactly the same situation as you.

My DD is 23 wks and no where near sitting up. Am also waiting till 26 wks but not convinced she will be able to feed herself then either. She is not great at getting things to her mouth tends to lower mouth to chew toy on highchair tray etc.

My DS (2) was fed puree and everyone else in RL with small babies I know atm has weaned from 16 wks!!

Might start giving her small plastic spoon to chomp on in the meantime...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now