Talk

Advanced search

BLW - They don't really EAT that much do they? A few questions if you please.

(53 Posts)
LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 21:55:31

DD is now 6 months and we started her early on bland puree due to reflux.

However, now she's 6 months I want to go into BLW and let her try what she wants.
Ive done that for a few days and today gave her a couple of cucumber sticks. She sucked at them but didn't really eat them (I assumed it was cos she has no teeth so can't get chunks to chew and swallow) however, I thought about yesterday and she had carrots which ok quite abit went down but we definatly didn't have a clean bowl like we do with purees.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
Also we went onto purees to coat her stomach and allow the milk to stay down. Do you think I can cut the purees out now and doing BLW will coat her stomach enough IYKWIM

Oh another question - I'm a crap cook and apart from frozen veg all I have is frozen meat etc (battered chicken, fish fingers etc) so can I give her stuff like this or should I be getting fresh things for her?

Any ideas what? I'm going shopping tomorrow.

Sorry for all the questions.

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:10:21

Anyone there or is it best to wait till the morning?

PeterDuck Mon 07-Jul-08 22:13:29

Message withdrawn

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:14:48

Thanks PD as long as I know its normal.

Should I be cutting out Puree now or do you think she'll end up being the sicky baby again.
Also any ideas for easy things to cook?

RegenerAitch Mon 07-Jul-08 22:24:47

i think if she's got reflux then it might be a case of trial and error, i'm afraid. i know some babies are fine with blw but i got sent this really interesting email here by a mum of a refluxy baby and she said she'd tweaked things a bit. but the reflux aside, not appearing to eat much is normal. broccoli's good for reassurance as you definitely see it in the nappy [holds nose emoticon] wink

re the battered chicken etc... well, is this really what you want to feed her? it's got nothing to do with BLW, really, as she'd be on it in a fair few months anyway, so that's a decision you'd have to make at some point.
personally, i always keep some fish fingers in the freezer as they're great as a quick lunch, and i think i used to peel the outside off to begin with. (birds eye are a good brand, no colourings).

i've had a lot of people on my blog and forum saying that they found weaning a good opportunity to evaluate their cooking abilities and also the food they're eating. if you look at your own diet and think it's a bit shitey, then it's probably a good idea to change it now for everyone's sake.

there are LOADS of recipes on my site that are suitable for easy finger food as well as happy adults, but tbh once they get the hang of it then they do surprise you by how much they can manage.

take it slow, for now, watch out for the reflux symptoms being aggravated and be prepared to take it super slowly. it'll take as long as it takes, best thing to do is not stress about it. smile

micci25 Mon 07-Jul-08 22:27:46

with my dd2 it really depends upon how hungry she is and what mood she is in. her potato waffles with cheese and egg for lunch went mainly into the dog!! though she ate the egg!!

her spicy pasta and ham dinner was shovelled in by the handfull!!

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:28:23

Aitch your a star. I've looked at the battered chicken and it says its 100% chicken breast which is ok and I can't see salt in the ingrediants so I'm assuming she'll be ok with this.

Fishfingers - Are birdseye - Nothing else of course!!!! Lol

Thanks for the link - I knew I remembered reading about a BLW website and that an MNer was the creator but I couldnt remember who.

I'll read all and start cooking more. My diet truley sucks but i've never really cared till now. Don't want DD to end up like me.

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:30:37

OMG - I didn't think of pasta or anything like that. I just thought best to stick to easy stuff. Oh this is gonna get SOOOO messy. lol

micci25 Mon 07-Jul-08 22:32:24

yes it gets very messy before eating it she wondered what would happen if she tipped the bowl over head!! she spent the next few minutes retrieving bits of pasta that had fallen down her vest!! but she enjoyed herself and at the end of it there were only a few bits of pasta left!!

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:36:19

I thought we made a mess with green beans and carrots - God know whats gonna happen later.

Just looked a Aitch's website and seen spaghetti bolognaise....... really? BLW that as well? REALLY?

I'm gonna keep reading but I'm assuming even though she has no teeth she can pretty much do any of it?

Desiderata Mon 07-Jul-08 22:43:00

Six months old eat more than toddlers, ime.

Try to keep off the processed stuff if you can. If it's fishfingers, stick with reputable brands (relatively speaking). Eggy bread is great, quick food that even a non-cook can do, and most kids love it. Cut it into fingers.

Frozen peas in a little cup/slices of banana/dry bread/apple crumble/rice pudding/bread sticks.

Mix and match with spoon-feeding and blw. She'll soon let you know which she prefers!

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:49:05

Sounds like this is gonna be fun!! I just know DP is gonna hate it!! grin all the more reason!!! mwah hahaha.

Best go to pound shop tomorrow and try to find some mats to go under the highchair.

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:54:44

Are chips really that bad if no salt is added? I mean it's just potatoe? Or is it the oil thats bad? What about oven chips?

Desiderata Mon 07-Jul-08 22:55:24

It depends on the child, salam.

Mine could never stand to be spoon fed, so it was finger food all the way.

At this stage, don't do the full spag bol. Just do the spag. They won't need full, proper meals for years yet! It's just a bit of this, and a bit of that.

A new potato, a soft boiled egg, etc .. little bits here and there.

A warning about carrots, though. They're great food, and kids love them, but they really make them pooh, so don't freak when she dumps a truck load grin

Desiderata Mon 07-Jul-08 22:56:19

Chips are fine! Do proper chips in oil. Babies need the opposite to us. They need high fat, low fibre.

Chips are cool.

RegenerAitch Mon 07-Jul-08 22:56:32

i used an old bit of washable wallpaper and wiped up and rolled it under a chair afterwards.
what do you eat? that's where to start imo. agree with eggy bread for the non-cook etc, although some people leave egg til later. spaghetti, really, although dd was best off with fusilli spirals to begin with. whomoved's wee girl's first solid food ever was spag bol, there are photos on the site. grin

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:56:36

OIh great!! So not only have I got to worry about the mess she creates on the way in but also on the way out!! [sigh] No I will continue!!

nappyaddict Mon 07-Jul-08 22:57:47

i think its the oil. i do potato wedge type things in the oven. i just drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and roast them in the oven.

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:58:52

Oh crap!! Spag is gonna be fun.

Right so I'm gonna give her the last tub of mush for breakfast as haven't really got anything she could have that's breakfasty. No bread and the only cereal in the house is either alpen or weetos!! lol

I normally eat tinned things or frozen things - really not a cook. So tomorrow i'm gonna go looking for easy things.

I can make omellettes and spag bol. Am gonna get a cook book as well. lol

Desiderata Mon 07-Jul-08 22:59:18

Yes, that's a good suggestion from Nappy. Don't even peel the spuds. Just slice them quite thinly, drizzle of olive oil, oven for twenty minutes .. job done!

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 22:59:58

Even I can do that!! lol - Cheers nappy! grin

RegenerAitch Mon 07-Jul-08 23:00:03

oven chips have some weird coating of oil on them, imo. but lordy oh lordy real chips are great. there's a recipe (i use the word loosely) on the site for sweet potato wedges that are really nice. as are normal wedges, obv.
why are you a crap cook, though? did you just never get into it or is it a time thing? i'm not brilliant, but i know the basics of how to knock up a tomato sauce etc. what do you like eating yourself, what's going to be easiest for hte whole family?

Desiderata Mon 07-Jul-08 23:00:33

A good quality, dry breakfast cereal that she can just shovel in her mouth would be good, too.

They're fortified with loads of B vits, etc.

DON'T ADD MILK, lol grin

Desiderata Mon 07-Jul-08 23:01:19

Tiny kids love roast parsnips, too. They're nice and sweet .. and they'll happily eat them cold.

LuckySalem Mon 07-Jul-08 23:01:59

DP doesn't eat with us except on a weds/thurs and I don't have time DD will not allow it!! All attention must be on her.

I've even tried sitting her in her highchair right next to where i'm cooking (safe distance obv) so she can see whats happening but that doesn't work.

HOWEVER I did have a mini breakthrough today with giving her cucumber slices, It kept her busy and cos she didn't really eat it she still wanted food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now