Talk

Advanced search

when can i give fish?

(10 Posts)
vannah Fri 04-Jul-08 13:55:08

DD is 7 months old
When can she have fish, and what type - can it be an oily fish or need it only be white fish
thankyou

Iklboo Fri 04-Jul-08 13:56:02

We gave DS fish from about 7 months - v mashed up. He loved white fish (cod, haddock etc) and sardines
He still loves fish now he's 2.5

Iklboo Fri 04-Jul-08 13:56:03

We gave DS fish from about 7 months - v mashed up. He loved white fish (cod, haddock etc) and sardines
He still loves fish now he's 2.5

LittleMyDancing Fri 04-Jul-08 13:57:15

Straight away, , iirc. Girls shouldn't eat oily fish more than twice a week, I think, and big fish (marlin, swordfish etc) have high levels of mercury, so best to stick with cod, haddock, mackerel, salmon etc.

DS loved fish straight away and still does. Have fun!

(p.s. be careful of bones wink)

vannah Fri 04-Jul-08 14:34:17

thanks both
I wanted to give salmon so thats great!

chloemegjess Sat 05-Jul-08 08:10:58

LittleMyDancing - Why just girls? Sorry if thats a silly question?

LittleMyDancing Sat 05-Jul-08 09:42:09

Not a silly question - it's something to do with hormones, let me look it up. Hold on.....

Here we go - this from the Food Standards Agency:

Can I eat as much oily fish as I like?

Even though eating oily fish has a number of benefits, there are limits to the amount we should eat.

Girls and women who might have a baby one day shouldn't eat more than two portions of oily fish a week. A portion is 140g. In general, this advice also applies to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Women who aren't going to get pregnant in the future, boys and men can eat up to four portions a week.
QA
Why should I limit the amount of oily fish I eat?

Because they can contain dioxins and PCBs.

Dioxins are a type of pollutant found in fish. They are by-products from a number of industrial processes and household fires. They are found throughout the environment and are found in fish.

PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) are another type of pollutant, which were used mainly in electrical equipment. But PCBs haven't been manufactured since the 1970s and they are no longer permitted in the UK.

Levels of both dioxins and PCBs are falling in the environment and the food we eat.

Dioxins and PCBs will not have an immediate effect on your health. Any risk comes from taking in high levels over a long period of time.
QA
Is the advice on eating farmed salmon different to other types of oily fish?

No, the advice on farmed salmon is the same – that is that girls or women who might have a baby one day and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding shouldn't eat more than two portions a week. Women who aren't going to get pregnant in the future, boys and men can eat up to four portions a week. A portion is 140g. Remember that if you are eating this much salmon in a week, you shouldn't eat other types of oily fish as well.

QA
Should I eat oily fish when I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?

You should eat oily fish when you're pregnant or breastfeeding because this could help your baby's development.

In general, the advice for pregnant and breastfeeding women is the same as for girls and women who might have a baby one day ? that is that you shouldn't eat more than two portions of oily fish a week.

When you're pregnant, or planning to get pregnant, you should eat no more than four medium-size cans of tuna a week (with a drained weight of about 140g per can), or two fresh tuna steaks (weighing about 140g when cooked or 170g raw).

Remember that fresh tuna is oily fish, so if you eat two fresh tuna steaks in one week, you shouldn't eat any other oily fish that week. Tinned tuna doesn't count as oily fish, so you can eat this on top of the maximum of two portions of oily fish (as long as it?s not fresh tuna or swordfish), but remember not to eat more than four medium-sized cans a week.

Why should I limit the amount of oily fish I eat?

Because they can contain dioxins and PCBs.

Dioxins are a type of pollutant found in fish. They are by-products from a number of industrial processes and household fires. They are found throughout the environment and are found in fish.

PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) are another type of pollutant, which were used mainly in electrical equipment. But PCBs haven't been manufactured since the 1970s and they are no longer permitted in the UK.

Levels of both dioxins and PCBs are falling in the environment and the food we eat.

Dioxins and PCBs will not have an immediate effect on your health. Any risk comes from taking in high levels over a long period of time.

QA
Is the advice on eating farmed salmon different to other types of oily fish?

No, the advice on farmed salmon is the same – that is that girls or women who might have a baby one day and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding shouldn't eat more than two portions a week. Women who aren't going to get pregnant in the future, boys and men can eat up to four portions a week. A portion is 140g. Remember that if you are eating this much salmon in a week, you shouldn't eat other types of oily fish as well.

Hope this helps!

vannah Mon 07-Jul-08 22:26:16

that was very informative littlemydancing, thanks for that. I think a friend of mine who is a marine bioligist once told me that if I wanted to eat oily fish, I should stick to the smaller ones. Sardines, sill (?)...

any thoughts on size

LittleMyDancing Wed 09-Jul-08 15:56:39

Not sure - we only eat salmon and mackerel at home, mostly because I'm rubbish at experimenting!

pleaseletmesleep Thu 10-Jul-08 02:39:25

Yannah - I think the reason that you should stick to the smaller fish is that the further up the food chain you go -ie the bigger the fish the more concentrated the things like mercury are in them so thats why fish like swordfish and shark - big fish, are only recommended twice a week.

To the op - I give dd fish pie which consists of cod and salmon cooked in some formula (can't bear to express enough bm to cook with!) with potato and sweetcorn and she loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now