Talk

Advanced search

straining and grunting, but normal poos

(11 Posts)
pinata Thu 03-Jul-08 17:42:06

i've been giving DD solids for a few weeks now (she is 30 weeks) and she's taken to it really well and loves to try new things

but on some days (like today) she strains and grunts like she is constipated, only to eventually produce a completely normal poo

i thought it might be belly ache, but she doesn't really seem in pain

is this normal? is she just getting used to digesting? or could it be something is disagreeing with her?

I have tried to introduce new things slowly and this happens even when she's had nothing different

TheGabster Thu 03-Jul-08 19:05:25

OK - not sure if this is any help as I am a complete novice and non-expert.

However, I only started weaning my ds1 today on baby rice for the first time grin, but he has been grunting and groaning for the past 3-4 days just like you describe. I also thought constipation to start with, or in pain for some reason, but then I put it down to the two quite obvious white bumps on his gums which tell me he must be teething. He always does it when I put him down for day naps, or when he is getting tired etc. Do you think it could be the same? Have you spotted any tale-tale signs?

But this sounds a bit silly now I put it in black and white. Anybody else in the know?

KnickersOnMaHead Thu 03-Jul-08 19:13:18

Message withdrawn

pinata Thu 03-Jul-08 20:43:15

thank you both

well, she is having a lot of trouble with teething, and her face is rashy - it goes on for a few days at a time, but there's never a tooth to show for it, so i wondered if it might be something else, to do with weaning. i can see them clearly at the front, but they're not right under the gums at the top yet, so i think it might be a while

can teething happen like this? bursts of tooth development before the teeth actually come through? first timer here, can you tell? grin

KnickersOnMaHead Thu 03-Jul-08 21:00:26

Message withdrawn

pinata Thu 03-Jul-08 21:21:50

ok, i'm sure that's it, then - which is good in the sense it's not the weaning (which i thought it was, as the straining and grunting are a new one), but bad as i guess it means she's in more pain than before

thank you for the reassurance

TheGabster Fri 04-Jul-08 12:17:37

I second that motion (excuse pun)wink, glad it is teething then, although not glad it is taking so long!! Exactly the same as you pinata, can see the bumps there, but not coming through yet sad.

Oh well, thank God for calgel.

KnickersOnMaHead Fri 04-Jul-08 19:56:07

Message withdrawn

pinata Sat 05-Jul-08 21:17:15

anbesol? where do it get that? is it better than Dentinox gel? that's what i use at the moment.

will try anything - we were at a picnic today and my friend's 4mo DS had a tooth visibly coming. i was soooooo envy

KnickersOnMaHead Sun 06-Jul-08 14:44:36

Message withdrawn

gingerwench Fri 05-Sep-08 15:24:11

i thought anbesol, dentinox and calgel all had the same active ingredients?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now