Talk

Advanced search

Finger food suggestions for 15 mo that isn't fruit

(14 Posts)
evenhope Tue 01-Jul-08 21:46:03

Nursery keep asking me about "finger foods" because I send jars or yoghurt or fruit pots with my 15 mo.

Basically she will eat toast, biscuits and cheese but despite my best intentions she will not eat carrot/ cucumber/ apples/ grapes/ raisins / banana like most toddlers. I have offered all sorts of finger foods and she will not eat them.

I get the impression her keyworker thinks it's me being awkward, even though she has refused these foods when nursery have offered them!

I'm not worried that she won't eat them BTW just getting a bit hmmat the implication I'm depriving her.

Are there any other finger foods I've missed that I could try? (not fruit)

tassisssss Tue 01-Jul-08 21:48:57

breadsticks
rice cakes
pancakes
organix ceral bars

ask nursery what they're looking for. is it for snack or meals?

KaySamuels Tue 01-Jul-08 21:50:04

I would say just keep trying lots of different things, most tots don't accept foods immediately, I would send one thing she eats and one she doesn't each day. smile

My ds is a fussy eater too and I often get some hmm looks, I was advised to look at what is eaten over a week, my ds is 3and a half and has just taken to liking raw carrot sticks! smile

savoycabbage Tue 01-Jul-08 21:51:45

Anything she can 'cram' in her mouth by the fistful in my dd's case.

Pasta, new potato, my dd loves a chicken leg!

evenhope Tue 01-Jul-08 22:08:03

The other kids seem to have banana or sandwiches or stuff that they can feed themselves. (I wonder if they don't like having to spend the time to spoonfeed her?)

I like her to have a proper dinner rather than sandwiches.

madcol Tue 01-Jul-08 22:12:10

Ricecakes - are a definite winner in our house and anything by organix.

KnickersOnMaHead Tue 01-Jul-08 22:14:11

Message withdrawn

K999 Tue 01-Jul-08 22:14:58

Can she feed herself? My dd is 16 months. She ests finger foods but I have done BLW so she eats most things with her hands - even spag bol!! Very messy but if they dont want to spoon feed her, maybe she could feed herself??

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Tue 01-Jul-08 22:17:01

quiche is good
or frittata

Aitch Wed 02-Jul-08 11:34:24

nice sausages? yum, even cold are yum. ham? leftover roast beef? tuna? cucumber or carrot slices rather than sticks (dd isn't fussed for sticks either).

basically the ingredients of a sandwich withouth the bread, if that's a problem? (although i'm not sure what's wrong with a nice sarnie at lunchtime tbh, if she's getting a hot meal at night).

tbh 16 mos seems v old to me for spoonfeeding, i wonder if you should let her loose with a wee metal fork and see what happens? dd could use one by 16 mos, although the spoon came later.

electronic Tue 22-Jul-08 11:22:05

how about...
pitta pockets, fritters, patties, cold hash browns, roasted veges (sweet potato/yams/carrot/potato), corn on the cob discs, savoury flapjacks (made with oats and cheese - good recipe on BLW recipe site), oat/rice/quinoa pancakes...

ruddynorah Tue 22-Jul-08 23:50:16

i wouldn't be annoyed at the nursery suggesting she feed herself, it's a good thing to encourage.

no need to offer just plain things though, think of slices of omlette, pitta pockets, pizza slices, malt loaf, new potatoes, potato rosti etc. anything really that's small and easy to pack up.

Clary Tue 22-Jul-08 23:56:11

I would ditch the jars now.

At 15 mo she can eat almost anything you eat.

If you need to send in food to nursery, just send in cold chicken, pasta salad, cereal (shreddies, cheerios etc), veg bits - cooked peas, carrots, broccoli, pepper - omlette, ham, bread.

If you have to send in her lunch why not keep it to a cold meal she can picnic on?

Tinkjon Fri 25-Jul-08 20:08:47

Our all-time fave finger food is eggy bread. Or French Toast if you're posh Or cheese on toast, if she likes toast?

Re. sandwiches, what do you consider a 'proper meal'? With the right filling, sandwiches are a perfect meal - you can get protein, carbs, veg & dairy all in one. I can't see what's more 'proper meal' than that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now