Talk

Advanced search

How many milk feeds a day for 8 mth old on 3 meals a day?

(6 Posts)
Mamatastic Mon 30-Jun-08 20:24:14

Hiya, my DS is 8 months old and has been on solids since 5 months, starting off well but was recently going through a phase of refusing solids, mainly if offered on a spoon. I'm glad to say though that he seems to be getting out of this food refusal tunnel as he is managing to eat finger foods and over the weekend and today even managed to return to the spoon, hoorah!

I think part of this improvement may have been me reducing his milk a bit, I used to feed him after every meal plus on wakening, at bedtime and also mid AM and mid PM. I have now recently dropped his post meal milk but I am wondering how many milk feeds to offer now? I'm breastfeeding so I don't know how much he gets. My HV said to just give milk at waking, mid AM, mid PM and bed but others have said to me that their similar aged LO's only have milk at waking and at bedtime.

I'm just wondering what you are all doing re the amount of milk feeds (breast or formula) for an 8mth old on 3 meals a day? Thanks x

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 30-Jun-08 20:28:04

Message withdrawn

Rileycat Mon 30-Jun-08 20:30:59

My DD1 gave up BF at 8 months naturally. I kept offering her milk at waking, mid AM, mid PM and bed (as your HV suggests) and she started to refuse the mid AM and mid PM, would just turn her head away or play around. I gave her juice or water with meals from then on and she had formula milk at waking and bedtime (she's 16 months now and still has the same routine but now with cows milk). It's difficult to compare to others tho as they're all so individual, I would go with what your HV says and see how DS responds. As long as he's gaining weight and is healthy should be ok. I'd keep an eye out for lots of wet nappies too tho, if he's not taking in enough fluids they might not be as full when you change him.

electronic Tue 22-Jul-08 11:30:29

i am interested to know what you did in the end. i am at the same point. i BF my 8month old twins the same as you (from counting up your feeds you were BFing yours 7-9times a day? is that right?) i am feeding mine 6-7times a day - on waking in the morning and after their 3 day naps, one mid morning one and two evening ones before bath, after bath plus their 2 meals a day. everyone tells me this is way too much. i'm happy doing it but feel that i SHOULD cut it down??? they are eating solids well in BLW style and weight gain is normal. sometimes they refuse a feed and that is ok too and they sleep through the night. what did you end up doing?

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Tue 22-Jul-08 11:32:02

as many as they need/ ask for

Seona1973 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:43:37

at 8 months my bottle fed ds had just cut out his night feed and had 4 day feeds which were morning, mid-morning, mid-afternoon and bedtime. As he lost interest in the mid-am and mid-pm feeds I cut them out and replaced them with a snack and a drink of water. He was down to 2 feeds by 10 1/2 months. They are still supposed to have about 20oz of milk per day up to the age of 1 so you dont want to cut down too fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now