Talk

Advanced search

What do you put on your baby's bread?

(34 Posts)
alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:21:22

DD (11 months) has only just started liking it and I need inspiration for nutritious spreads (as opposed to the jam, honey and marmalade in our cupboard!). Any ideas?

Ecmo Mon 23-Jun-08 21:22:31

marmite
fishpaste
chocolate spread

Ecmo Mon 23-Jun-08 21:22:55

obviously not all together grin

StrangeTown Mon 23-Jun-08 21:23:27

Mashed avocado, banana. Dried apricots or prunes simmered for 5 mins and then whizzed up.

uptomyeyes Mon 23-Jun-08 21:25:15

Cream cheese and chopped up dates.
Cauldron do a Morrocan chickpea spread which is sort of fruity and chickpea-ish - my kids loved it.
Hummous

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 23-Jun-08 21:25:33

ds never took to bread much but he does like stealing bits of my vegemite toast in the morning.

<<waves at alittleteapot>>

Ecmo Mon 23-Jun-08 21:27:35

oh look everyone else did healthy nutritious stuff. blush

chocolate spread on white bread with a fruit shoot goes down a treat wink

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:28:13

that was quick! i was wondering about marmite. Ideas flooding in now - thanks for inspiration

<<waves at PhD>> how's it going?

MrsTittleMouse Mon 23-Jun-08 21:31:28

I didn't do anything for ages, just dry toast in fingers to teeth on. blush I now do hummus and soft cheese.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 23-Jun-08 21:32:32

okay thanks. still can't make up my mind about weaning ds at nights as he's just about given up day feeds and I've realised I don't want to quit 100%. You?

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:36:05

Snap, as usual. Also, skin greasier by the day so think things might be sorting themselves out. Still hoping won't have to quit too. Also, can't think straight about anything till after holiday!

onepieceoflollipop Mon 23-Jun-08 21:37:49

Hummus (sp?) or philadelphia. Marmite quite high salt so only sparingly. Mushed up tuna/salmon with a bit of mayo.

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:39:09

All great suggestions, thanks. What's a good way of making fishpaste do you think? Fish with a bit of philadelphia? or yogurt?

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:40:07

ps ecmo - chocolate spread? i'm not allowing chocolate yet. she gets enough in my breastmilk! grin

onepieceoflollipop Mon 23-Jun-08 21:42:29

Fish and philadelphia should work. I steam/bake portions of trout or salmon and it flakes beautifully into tiny bits. Or tuna in spring water if pushed for time. Not sure about the yog, may be a bit runny? I also mix it into mash (potato or starchy veg such as squash) and that is a great quick tea - sorry slight side track.

My dd2 absolutely adores fish (10 months) something I am keen to encourage.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Mon 23-Jun-08 21:44:11

greasy skin???? [thick emoticon] - what's that got to do with it? (you've really pricked my ears up - am having dreadful dry skin atm)

btw I did successfully give ds sardines mashed onto toast once. At that age he didn't like bread much and only ever ate any given spread once iyswim. Now I am baking my own bread [halo] he just likes that with butter. one for the unhealthy brigade wink

onepieceoflollipop Mon 23-Jun-08 21:45:57

Yes I was intrigued by the greasy skin comment. I was interested as I always have very greasy skin apart from during the last half of pg and the first few months after the baby is born while b/f Sorry if irrelevant hijack!

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:48:35

Oh, I always used to have crap skin till got pg and had dd - been perfect since but starting to go a bit teenage again which makes me think hormones are settling down and maybe AF might be on her merry way at last. (May just be wishful thinking and skin down to lack of sleep and too much chocolate hmm )

(Sorry, nothing to do with bread there...)

bohemianbint Mon 23-Jun-08 21:49:48

Almond or cashew nut butter. He's mad for peanut butter now he's older.

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:50:39

Yes onepiece, i've tried EVERYTHING for spots and blackheads since the age of 16. Answer was, it turns out, get pregnant and then breastfeed. To explain, me and PhD are quite keen to get cracking on number 2 but don't yet seem to be in a position to... Sorry for huge sidetrack!

onepieceoflollipop Mon 23-Jun-08 21:50:47

To join in the rather interesting hijack of your own thread littleteapot I have similar skin issues. Also my hair suddenly went awful, all yukky and greasy (and I wash it every day)...sure enough AF arrived a day later. dd2 was about 7 months old and had drastically cut down the bf.

Ecmo Mon 23-Jun-08 21:51:42

oh I confess I didnt make my fishpaste. I bought the little jars of it in sainsburys, very convienient. you can get salmon and tuna i think. DS had it every day for AGES.

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:52:05

ah, the nuts question. can i just stop worrying about all that now and give her nuts?

oh and thanks for the fish paste ideas onepiece. DD loves fish too and like you i'm keen to encourage...

alittleteapot Mon 23-Jun-08 21:53:22

Fingers crossed onepiece. I've never been so pleased to see a pimple in my life! smile

bohemianbint Mon 23-Jun-08 21:55:02

I avoided peanuts until after DS was one, but he loves them and as a veggie they're really good for him. No ill effects as yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now