Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Despite my comments on weaning from 4 months - I'm TRYING to make it to 6 months......

(10 Posts)
TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 01-Oct-07 15:51:48

with DS3 - but my god I don't know how I'm going to do it! He's nearly had my breakfast, a biscuit and a sandwich out of my hand today (and he can't even "grab" things properly yet lol) . Not to mention sitting there bawling his eyes out when DH or the DS's eat something in front of him.

I know he can get something off a spoon to the back of his mouth as he's been on antibiotics for the last week and I've been giving it to him on a spoon, he had been spreading his milks out to 3-4hr intervals, but has gone back to 6-8oz every 1 1/2-2hrs again for the last week or so....so how do I hang on for another 8 weeks?

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 01-Oct-07 17:18:26

VoodooLULUmama Mon 01-Oct-07 17:22:13

did he eat less when he was poorly? and he might be having a growth spurt, as often happens around 16 weeks or so, try to ride it out with milk... babies often want more milk and cuddles when and after they are poorly

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 01-Oct-07 17:25:25

no - he's been drinking more for the last week and a half - nearly 2 weeks - but has had a chest infection for just under 1 week......he'll be 19 weeks on Thursday (and is a big boy...just had to buy 6-9 vests and sleepsuits and he's (literally) popping out of the 3-6 month ones grin.

Like DS1 with his chest infections - he's not remotely bothered by it - apart from looking at me in great disgust when he's coughing/breathing funny as if it's all my fault lol.

NoBiggy Mon 01-Oct-07 17:27:06

Did you have BLW in mind at all?

If you did, you could start that, you wouldn't cut the milk back, and if he wasn't actually ready he wouldn't get anything down.

Maybe joining in with mangling a couple of veggies would keep him happy?

Don't know about his feeding more often, I've never had my head together enough to notice a pattern blush No doubt one of those infamous growth spurts smile

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 01-Oct-07 17:31:01

no - wasn't planning on trying the BLW route - going to do the same as for DS1 and DS2 and "shovel" it in wink - with finger foods offered from the start too....

We'd only managed to get to 2-3hrs between feeds in the last month or so - before that he was a couple of ounces every hour shock.

So far today (since 7am) he's had 26oz - with 2 more bottles left before bedtime! - and the bedtime one is almost certainly going to be 8oz..he'll probably have 4-5oz in the next 1/2hr.

VoodooLULUmama Mon 01-Oct-07 17:33:35

if he is hungry, then milk is more filling and nutritious than a couple of spoons of veg

milk should be the main source of nutrition until 1, and food is an addition to milk, not a replacement for the first few weeks and months of weaning anyway

NoBiggy Mon 01-Oct-07 17:35:54

Would it work to give him something harmless to gnaw on, then bring on the shovel at 6 months? Sounds like you don't want to wean yet. He's not distracted with an interesting toy I take it?

Is he having a lot of milk then? (Sorry, clueless as to actual volumes!)

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 01-Oct-07 17:51:09

thing is when I weaned the older DS's (at 4 months) by 6 months they were on 3 (quite large) meals a day with the same amount of milk being consumed as before weaning started (DS1 was BF, and DS2 was having several 9oz bottles a day).

No - not distracted by a toy - infact he's made more attempts to grab at our food than he has at his toys LOL.

HysterSister Mon 01-Oct-07 19:44:43

My DD is having the same amount of milk, and three meals additionally. And she is SOOOOO much happier.

She is 27 weeks now; started her on puree at 21 weeks. She is now having bread and little bits of fruit/vegas well as purees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now