Talk

Advanced search

eggs

(8 Posts)
flipster Tue 25-Sep-07 12:47:09

This is pretty basic but can anyone tell me how many eggs I can give my 9mth old in a week?
He loves scrambled eggs with cheese but should babies be limited to a certain number of eggs given the potential health problem caused to adults by eating lots of eggs??

lulu25 Tue 25-Sep-07 13:08:55

what potential health problem?

you've got me worried now.... DS loves his french toast

nailpolish Tue 25-Sep-07 13:09:55

im funny about eggs
they are so high in cholesterol
id say one or two a week

lulu25 Tue 25-Sep-07 13:11:09

and i've just made a frittata for lunch

julwil Tue 25-Sep-07 13:27:56

Eggs do contain cholesterol but the good type (HDL - High Density Lipoprotein) rather than the LDL (Low-density).

Seona1973 Tue 25-Sep-07 13:29:16

there are no limits on eggs for most people. From food standards agency:

There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat. Eggs are a good choice as part of a healthy balanced diet. But remember that it's a good idea to eat as varied a diet as possible. This means we should be trying to eat a variety of foods each week to get the wide range of nutrients we need.

Eggs are a good source of:

protein
vitamin D
vitamin A
vitamin B2
iodine

Eggs contain cholesterol and high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.

However, the cholesterol we get from our food - and this includes eggs - has less effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than the amount of saturated fat we eat. So, if you are eating a balanced diet you only need to cut down on eggs if you have been told to do so by your GP or dietitian. If your GP has told you to watch your cholesterol levels, your priority should be cutting down on saturated fats.

lulu25 Tue 25-Sep-07 13:30:08

yay! <cuts frittata into wedges>

lulu25 Tue 25-Sep-07 14:05:38

i can now report that DS (8 months) likes frittata. it was a spinach one, so it looks like something out of Gremlins in here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now