Talk

Advanced search

==== 6 month old constipated - tips needed to relieve!

(8 Posts)
3missys Sun 23-Sep-07 20:49:52

Hi,

I am sure there has been loads of threads asking for this advice but I would appreciate any advice to help my daughter who is 6 months go more often! Rubbing her tummy doesn't so much, going to try the prune juice but is there any other things we could try?

She currently has 3 meals a day plus 4 bottles.. She was weaned from 5 months. She still wants her milk and loves her food. We give her water with a splash of juice in and she take about 4oz a day on average.

She has cried twice the last two times she has been as it has been a firm sausage!! poor luv.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah x

coleyboy Sun 23-Sep-07 20:52:24

Is it the type of formula that is giving her constipation?

Has this only happened since she was weaned? What type of foods is she eating?

3missys Mon 24-Sep-07 08:59:39

Hi, she has just switched to the follow on aptamil, she was has always been on the aptamil range of formula.

She eats a range of foods, pureed fruit and veg. Home made and plum baby baby foods....

Sarah x

coleyboy Mon 24-Sep-07 21:27:25

As your dd is still only on veg and fruit, I'm guessing it's not that. So it sounds like it could be the formula. Even though it is the same make, the difference in levels of certain ingrediants may not agree with her.

Don't want to patronise, but you aren't being a bit to generous with the powder are you? This can cause constipation.

A friend used to soak raisins in water and give the water to her lo. She sweared by it for constipation.

startouchedtrinity Mon 24-Sep-07 21:37:15

I'd switch back to ordinary aptimil. My dd1 was on it for a year, anything else gave her wind and constipation. Follow-on milk is just a gimmick - my ds stayed on his first milk until one, too, then both went onto cows' milk.

I found organic dried apricots good (don't get not organic as they have nasty sulphides on them). Simmer in some water and then puree. You can add apple, pear, cinnamon, and when she is a bit further on you can mix in mashed rice, porridge or fromage frais.

A word of warning though. The results can be a bit dramatic at first!!!

3missys Mon 24-Sep-07 21:41:50

Thanks for the advice, not being generous with powder and I did think that about changing the aptaml's. She did have a good explosion today though after I put a wee bit more juice in her water.... grin

Sarah x

Leeeza Mon 24-Sep-07 21:42:17

Couple ounces of cool boiled water first thing in morning BEFORE any milk or food always makes my littleone go by afternoon.

3missys Mon 24-Sep-07 21:43:34

hmm may try that.... Thanks!

Sarah x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now