Talk

Advanced search

How to get bf baby to take bottle?

(8 Posts)
julwil Wed 19-Sep-07 17:35:37

Any ideas for encouraging DD to take to start drinking from bottle.

She's 6.5 months, bf and now taking solids BUT I have to return to work in 4 weeks so planned to introduce bottle for daytime feeds and continue bf morning and night.

She gets very distressed when we try, have tried different positions, different people, even tried going straight to cup. Have I left it too late? Thanks for any advice

katyjo Wed 19-Sep-07 18:55:17

Never could get ds to take a bottle. I tried loads of different cups instead, he really liked the nuk learner bottle its a cup with a soft spout, he still has his milk from it at night.
xxx

katyjo Wed 19-Sep-07 18:56:01

Sorry he's 18months now, not 24.
just in case you thought that sounded weird

nuri Thu 20-Sep-07 04:08:08

I'm in the same situation julwil and would love to hear from anyone who has been successful in weaning at around 6-7 mths.

julwil Thu 20-Sep-07 12:12:05

My HV suggested wearing a t-shirt of my husbands to hide the smell of milk, tried it today and can safely say it didn't work...

thanks for advice re cups!

And nuri, I noticed a similar thread on the breast and bottle feeding board, I don't know how to paste the thread here though...

flamingtoaster Thu 20-Sep-07 13:16:24

julwil - I can't tell from your post whether you are giving EBM or formula. If it's formula it would be worth trying several different kinds - DS (at 6 months) refused bottles until I found a taste he liked!

julwil Thu 20-Sep-07 13:20:23

Originally used EBM then got frustrated as pouring it down sink every day, so now using formula - thanks for the idea - I'll buy some of those small cartons to try a few different ones

sweetcat Thu 20-Sep-07 13:27:22

I had the same dilemma and eventually found Tommee Tippee bottles which had teats with nodules on were the only ones to work. we tried everything else, including different people etc for over a month with no success. On one of his starter sessions at nursery I decided to ask them to try with one of those bottles and it worked like a dream.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: