Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are Quaker Oats So Simple Sachets ok for 9 month old??

(13 Posts)
PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Tue 18-Sep-07 09:30:23

I usually just use plain oats and add my own fruit for DD but DH came back with these snazzy sachets (very pleased with himself!). They say they have trace amounts of salt per sachet but that magically goes to 0.3g per sachet once you add milk......hmm. Can someone enlighten me please?? Are they ok to give? I also give her other salty things like bread / humous etc so am worried she's getting too much now.

Aitch Tue 18-Sep-07 09:35:02

i never know about the salt stuff, but if you're concerned then don't give too many salty things on the same day, iykwim? i think the sachets are a bit revolting, mind you, the porridge is so gloopy and weird.

fishie Tue 18-Sep-07 09:38:22

it is gruel. dp and i had a nasty row this morning re porridge, he thinks it should be smooth and runny, whereas i KNOW it should be fairly thick and lumpy. ds ate mine up haha.

i don't think that's much salt for one entire meal. but i have never worried much about salt since i don't use many processed foods.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Tue 18-Sep-07 10:08:01

But where does the extra salt come from?? Milk doesn't have salt in it does it?? I'll just give her my stuff and DH can use that at weekends when he does breakfast. Trouble is that DD is mad for toast at the mo too. I'm having real trouble because even cooking from scratch, f you look at stuff e.g. tuna in spring water / bread / cheese etc, the salt adds up really quickly! Some bread has 0.5g salt per slice would you adam & eve it?!

TheApprentice Tue 18-Sep-07 10:16:06

Well Annabel Karmel says in her book you can give them instant porridge at this age. And shes supposed to be a guru so she should know!

Seona1973 Tue 18-Sep-07 10:42:40

milk does contain sodium so that will be where the extra salt comes from

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Tue 18-Sep-07 10:55:21

oh lordy - that means despite trying everso hard, DD is probably on 27x her daily salt quota

What do you all do???

pistachio Tue 18-Sep-07 11:09:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DirtyGertiefromnumber30 Tue 18-Sep-07 12:46:56

i never really worry about salt levels tbh, my dd has 3 meals a day, cereal for breakfast, scrambled egg on toast or cheese sandwich for lunch etc and whatever we are having for dinner(a meal cooked from scratch no added salt in her portion)
I would drive myself insane trying to calculate every bloody quota they are meant to have / not meant to have! im sure my dd eats a balanced diet and as long as she's not eating processed food too often im assuming she's fine!

ejt1764 Tue 18-Sep-07 12:49:24

Id just make porridge from scratch ... we used to give ds the oatso simple stuff, but found it really expensive ... for 1 bowl of porridge:

35g porridge oats
200ml milk

cook in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.

put extra milk on afterwards if you like it smoother.

I put a spoonful of golden syrup in ds's porridge - it is his favourite breakfast!

lisalisa Tue 18-Sep-07 12:49:52

Message withdrawn

Seona1973 Tue 18-Sep-07 13:11:36

the 'original' oats so simple is just rolled oats and a stabiliser (soya lecithin) so not full of nasties at all.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Tue 18-Sep-07 14:47:17

No I think it's fine - it all seems to be nasty free - just some added sugar. I'm not really sure why DH found it so difficult to add raisins / stewed fruit to bog standard oats really. I think he got swayed by all the marketing and the fact it's all in sachets hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now