Talk

Advanced search

BLW - so chuffed today!

(24 Posts)
Tommy Thu 13-Sep-07 13:40:52

have been feeling a little despondant about DS3 (7m)and his BLW but, right now, he is siting up in his chair eating homemade leek and cheese quiche grin grin

I can't see much of it around the chair so I reckon most of it has gone in grin

littlelapin Thu 13-Sep-07 13:42:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tommy Thu 13-Sep-07 13:49:54

thanks litlelapin - needed someone to share my excitement smile
My Mum is being a bit sceptical at the moment to say the least

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 13:50:24

Well done. Very rewarding when it 'clicks'. Pretty good going at 7 months I reckon!

puffylovett Thu 13-Sep-07 13:51:41

Yippee ! well done DS3, now come round here and show ds how it's done grin

littlelapin Thu 13-Sep-07 13:56:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 13:57:47

lol

Tommy Thu 13-Sep-07 14:16:50

lol grin

it's not the choking my Mum's worried about - she's from "give him a bowl of weetabix before bed and he will miraculously sleep through the night" school of parenting.

Have just cleared up the fallout from lunch and there were no big chunks of quiche around so he must have eaten it grin

This may be a blip puffy - he'll be back to smearing it on his head tomorrow I'll bet

puffylovett Thu 13-Sep-07 17:03:34

ah but tommy thats half the fun don't you know !

i'm convinced that our babies are born with the ability to eat chew and swallow, they just like to make as much a mess as poss to keep us all on our toes !

lol LL !

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 13-Sep-07 20:50:52

Ah yes, my Mum kept saying that DD HAD to have baby rice first and purees etc and getting arsey irritated when I said that she didn't (despite explaining why). Last week she said 'oh this is definitely the better thing for them - not pureeing anything. I can't imagine why anyone would ever give purees. What a waste'.....as if it had been her idea all the time.

ThomasTankEngine Thu 13-Sep-07 21:02:15

Putthatinpipe: why don't you have to "warm up" babys digestive system with baby rice, veg and fruit?
This is a loaded Q as my DS is 5 months and I'm considering weaning (fully BF at present)

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 13-Sep-07 21:36:28

I could be the devils advocate and put the question back to you....why do you think the digestive system needs warming up with baby rice and why do you think baby rice would warm it up?

For me, my gut feeling was to offer DD everything except meat for the first 3 weeks or so but that was based on no facts whatsoever. Interestingly, I did notice that things went through her largely undigested at first and gradually over time, her food became more digested. Again, just the normal physiological process I guess.

I personally thing it's more natural for them to choose, grab stuff and bite off manageable quantities than it is for us to give them mashed up stuff. Part of the valuable process of digestion is chewing. Chewing produces saliva and enzymes which help to break down the food in the mouth and to stimulate the production of stomach acid which continues the digestion process. If you give babies JUST mashed up stuff, then part of the process is missing. I also believe that chewing is an important part of the development of muscles required for speech etc. Don't get me wrong - I'm all up for doing what's right for you - I'm a physiologist and so it is bound to affect my view on these things, whether I'm right or wrong grin.

ThomasTankEngine Thu 13-Sep-07 21:43:51

...beacause "everyone" as weaned their babies that way for years.
This is a new concept. Its very beguiling, as it means no purees, but it also seems random, with no structure for ensureing nutritional requirements are met.
I am genuinely undecided about what to do and would love more structured BLW info, but caan;t find it anywhere, even struggling on Aitch's website.

lornaloo Thu 13-Sep-07 21:45:34

Wow thats brilliant. Was obviously a yummy quiche..

ruddynorah Thu 13-Sep-07 21:56:23

what info are you after thomas tank? have you read the stuff gill rapley's done? there are webchats she's done as well as her guide out there.

ThomasTankEngine Thu 13-Sep-07 22:01:22

sorry, don't mean to hijack a happy thread. Have started another thread in this topic.
Thank you ruddynorah. I have read it, but it still seems random. Gill Rapley seems to be the only advocate (other than Aitch, too).

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 13-Sep-07 22:07:30

Think about it this way - a lion cub and a foal are born and are exclusively breastfed. As time goes on, they watch their mothers hunt (or graze!) and they start to play and nibble with the same food. As time goes on, they sus out what is good and what's not so good and they eat more and more and eventually start to learn to find their own food. As thishappens, the mother pushes them off her more and more and eventually full weaning occurs.

We too are mammals and so it strikes me that this is a very normal way to 'earn to eat'.

As with childbirth, different social demands across the centuries have dictated how we go about it. It is of course up to the individual and I am personally happy to 'go it wild' as I am reassured that it works brilliant across the whole of the animal kingdom. It's worked for us but I ackowledge that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 13-Sep-07 22:16:47

Dreadful typos sorry! It should be 'suss' and 'learn to eat'!!!!!

ThomasTankEngine Thu 13-Sep-07 22:25:29

Thanks for the analogy Pipe. We are higher up the evolutionary scale, but its a point well made.

Tommy Thu 13-Sep-07 22:36:21

My Mum (for all her comments wink) has said that she can remember her younger sister being weaned eating bits of food from their mother's plate while sitting on her lap at the table woth the rest of the family - we're talking 60 years ago here.

As far as I can see with DS3, it seems perfectly natural. He puts everything into his mouth anyway so putting something like a piece of quiche in, discovering that it tastes nice, disintegrates nicely and that Mummy doesn't take away again is just a bonus as far as he's concerned. smile

ThomasTankEngine Thu 13-Sep-07 22:47:07

I shall certanly put quiche at the top of my list when the time comes.

It must have been great to sse the quiche disappear.

jojosmaman Fri 14-Sep-07 21:05:43

I agree with Tommy, my ds's great grandma had no qualms about offering ds a piece of melon at 6 months even though we had never discussed BLW, to her it was a very normal natural thing to do.. and she is 86! I thought that she would be one I would have to win over.

I am not sure it is some kind of new fandangled experiment, its probably raising eyebrows as babies were weaned at "12 weeks or 12lb in weight, whichever came first" (according to my mum!)so baby rice/ purees were the only option then. Now we have many more options in regards to food if weaning at 6 months but I understand its hard to get your head round if in our generation that is all we know.

Good news about the quiche, its just the best feeling.

puffylovett Sat 15-Sep-07 15:14:51

12lbs ? I'd have been weaning at 3 weeks !!! LOL !!!

TinkerbellesMum Thu 20-Sep-07 13:33:23

12lbs, I know of babies that wouldn't have not had solids at any point! Tink was 6 1/2 months before she reached 12lbs.

I'm not sure what teh "evoloutionary scale" has to do with anything. Because we can build food processors we should use them? The developing world follow BLW (without realising we have a name for it) does that mean The West is higher on the scale too?

If you look at parenting manuals from before 1950s you will see that this isn't a new concept at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now