Talk

Advanced search

Nighttime bottles.......and fruit

(17 Posts)
kay1981 Thu 13-Sep-07 11:18:27

OK I have a few questions - MY DS is 13 months and from him being 2 weeks old, he has always, no matter at what time it is given, always fallen asleep on his nightime bottle. Should I be worried, is there any damage being done? (except to his 'tooth' as in singular!)

Also he wont eat fruit! He had it puree-ed (SP) but it's took me an age to get him onto lumps but he just wont have any fruit, I have tried strawberries, (too sour me thinks), apples and banana (no way with the banana!) Should I try grapes, as he is having problems with his poo and the GP told me to give him more fruit - any advice most welcome

Wow I've rambled on a bit there, haven't I?

Thanks guys

callmeovercautious Thu 13-Sep-07 11:22:09

Try mashing ripe banana and ripe advocado. DD loves it! It seems to help her if a bit blocked up.

Also buy a Gala melon and let it sit for a day or two until really ripe then cut it into thin pieces and let him pick them up - very juicy and messy! Same with peaches or pears although I would still peel them and slice thinly.

Blueberries and grapes cut up go down well here too. (so they don't choke)

HTH

callmeovercautious Thu 13-Sep-07 11:24:06

Sorry forgot the feeding to sleep! - I would try a post in Sleep, it is a bit of a contentious issue. I BF to sleep some nights but DD can also self settle after we did CC ages ago. It is hit and miss as if she is poorly or too tired she will fall asleep on me. We have cycles of a few weeks one way and a few weeks another. She is 12m.

WigWamBam Thu 13-Sep-07 11:25:31

Kiwi was always a big hit with dd - soft, sweet and juicy. Peel it and cut it into slices that he can pick up himself. It was always guaranteed to sort out dd's poo problems!

ruddynorah Thu 13-Sep-07 12:40:37

are you still pureeing the fruit? how does he get on with whole fruits?

kay1981 Thu 13-Sep-07 16:35:47

Thanks everyone, will try grapes, kiwis and melon, he not a big banana fan.

ruddynorah - he not good with whole fruit, tbh he's a bit funny with textures, if it feels a bit funny, he wont touch it, so apple, banana and such, he's a bit weird with, but HV says just to leave it there and 9 times out of 10, curiosity (sp) will get the better of him and it might just end up in his mouth too, so i'll try that.

I've got some Innocent Smoothies for kids, (with no bits!), so i'll try them, if he likes them i'll look at investing in a smoothie maker, but I think they might be a bit sour hmm, we'll have to see.

Thanks again everyone
xx

ruddynorah Thu 13-Sep-07 18:14:49

try giving him the fruits in a bowl like a fruit salad but think of it as play time not eating time. so just sit on the floor rather than in the high chair and just have the fruit there so he can have a go with it, or not. no worries if he only touches it or maybe just licks it a bit. it's not all about the eating.

callmeovercautious Thu 13-Sep-07 22:18:02

ruddynorah - I have done this a few times when DD is off her food, I put bits of toast, friut,rice cake, cherios etc down where she is playing and she will nibble on things as and when she fancies them. I do it on a Saturday morning too - I make eggy bread and we both sit on the floor nibbling and watch a cartoon, it is a real treat for us both to chill out in the morning and she always ends up eating everything.

Perhaps this more relaxed approach to the fruit may be worth a try?

ruddynorah Thu 13-Sep-07 22:20:07

yes. sometimes it's the whole..strapped in a highchair, bib on, mum looking anxious but trying to be relaxed thing that gets in the way.

kay1981 Fri 14-Sep-07 10:00:06

I'll try that, bought loads of fruit yesterday, so i'll go do it now! Cheers
x

callmeovercautious Fri 14-Sep-07 18:50:03

Any progress Kay?

gegs73 Fri 14-Sep-07 18:54:00

DS1 is a real pain with fruit and veg. Up until around 18 months he was fine and now he will only eat certain things and then only for a couple of weeks until he says its yukky.

I give him an Innocent Smoothie every day which is equivalent to 1 fruit portion (or more I guess depending on the size of your child) and also a fruit juice so he does get that. Costs a fortune though hmm

NAB3 Fri 14-Sep-07 18:55:27

I am sure I have already replied to this.
<vanishing posts>

Have you posted this somewhere else?

kay1981 Fri 14-Sep-07 19:42:06

Not really, ate one piece of apple and a grape, but I'll try again tomorrow, thanks CMOC

xx

kay1981 Fri 14-Sep-07 19:44:55

NAB3 - sorry, I forgot title last time, so you suggested a title to entice more replies - so I did grin

Thanks

xx

Seona1973 Fri 14-Sep-07 19:53:10

my ds likes grapes (I quarter them as he tends not to chew much before swallowing), chopped apple, chunks of ripe pear, strawberries (didnt like them at first but after offering them on several occasions he now loves them), bananas (just peel, break in half and give 1 bit in each hand), etc. I also sometimes just bring a small bowl of mixed fruit to the little table in the living room and he will stand and eat them there (dd (3)has to eat hers fast though or ds (11 months) comes round to get hers!!)

kay1981 Sat 15-Sep-07 15:31:08

Seona1973 - lol at image of your dd shovelling fruit in her mouth and your ds crawling after her for it, thinking "MINE!!"

If seona is your name, it's very pretty!

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now