Talk

Advanced search

Weaning

(4 Posts)
Bassrock12 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:04:16

Hey, started weaning my 6 month old a couple of weeks ago, shes now having breakfast and lunch. Got a few questions as I am completely lost with this all...
Should she be drinking water with her meals?
When do you drop a bottle (as sometimes she doesn't always finish her last bottle and we are having to wake her up for it)
And finally 😂 when can you start them on more lumpy foods?
Thanks everyone. Sorry for all the questions.

latheritup Wed 01-Apr-20 00:07:12

https://www.nhs.uk/start4life/weaning/what-to-feed-your-baby/

Ricekrispie22 Wed 01-Apr-20 05:22:37

You don’t have to offer water with solids, but sometimes it helps with constipation. It shouldn’t replace any milk. It’s really just to get babies used to using a cup. Don’t give too much.

Once your Dd is having three meals a day, she’ll probably be ready to drop a bottle. For my dc, it was around seven to nine months, although it varies from child to child. Mums tend to drop the midday feed first, as it’s easily replaced by a good lunch.
If she’s now eating a decent amount at lunchtime, offer her solids before her milk feed. You’ll know when she’s ready to drop the feed, as she’ll start to take less of it, or not want it at all.
If she is poorly or teething, she might lose her appetite for solids and want more milk. Don’t force solids in this case; just wait until she’s feeling better.
My DS started dropping his bedtime feed, and then ended up waking at night because he was hungry so I brought his solid tea forward to about 4pm – so that he was hungry again by bedtime and would take a full bottle.

You can start with lumps as soon as she’s comfortable swallowing purée off a spoon. It’s surprising what gums can get through so don’t think you need to wait for a set of teeth to appear. It takes a while to learn to control lumps in the mouth so don’t be surprised if they come back out – this just means she needs more practice so keep offering them.

Bassrock12 Wed 01-Apr-20 17:12:19

Thankyou so much for all your help. I really appreciate that. 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »