Talk

Advanced search

Weaning

(4 Posts)
Bassrock12 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:02:54

Hey, started weaning my 6 month old a couple of weeks ago, shes now having breakfast and lunch. Got a few questions as I am completely lost with this all...
Should she be drinking water with her meals?
When do you drop a bottle (as sometimes she doesn't always finish her last bottle and we are having to wake her up for it)
And finally 😂 when can you start them on more lumpy foods?
Thanks everyone. Sorry for all the questions.

rosydreams Wed 01-Apr-20 10:00:31

i always offered water with meals and you can offer lumpy food from the start.This is my daughter at 7 months,you can offer anything as long as its soft chopped up ,no honey and low salt.Just lump some food in front of them and let them go to town .I tend to make a big plate and offer a bits at a time.They drop so much and play with it a lot at first but after a few weeks mine got the idea

Selfsettling3 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:03:36

Always offer water with meals.
Milk should be given 30 mins to an hours before food. Just let her decide how much she wants. If she doesn’t wake for a bottle I wouldn’t be waking her.
The advice is to give finger food from 6 months, this can be exclusively or along side purée.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-Apr-20 09:23:26

From 6 months she can have tap water, so I’d let her have access to a cup of water each time you offer solid food.

She can have lumpy food straight away at 6 months. If you want to wean with purees, you could just mash foods with a fork now and offer some finger foods on the side for her to explore. Things like pepper strips or a hard boiled egg, quartered work well.

There are some more ideas of what she can have at this age in this guide from the Caroline Walker Trust. You’d probably need from about page 13 smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »