Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with weaning

(10 Posts)
RainInJuly Sat 01-Feb-20 13:15:16

I've been feeding my 6mo (nearly 7mo) two meals a day. He always has a bowl of something (weetabix, porridge or yoghurt for breakfast / ellas kitchen pouches for lunch) and always has a finger food to feed himself (toast in the morning with variety of toppings / Ellas kitchen puffs or banana waffles for lunch)

He was good at first, but as he's gotten better with the finger foods he's no longer interested in being fed. So he's not eating any of his purées and only a few spoonfuls of his weetabix.

Do I give just finger foods? What, and how many, would I have to give to be a full diet? He has 4 8oz bottles a day and none in the night. I just don't think he's eating anywhere near enough solids.

LoisLittsLover Sat 01-Feb-20 13:17:15

Doesn't sound like much fruit or veg, so I would go that way as opposed to processed food.

RainInJuly Sat 01-Feb-20 13:23:37

The pouches were always fruit and veg, which were the main meal then just a little finger food to get him used to feeding himself. If I do fruit and veg as a main meal but for him to feed himself how much would he need to have?!

Yesterdayforgotten Sat 01-Feb-20 13:27:52

www.nhs.uk/start4life/weaning/what-to-feed-your-baby/7-9-months/

Hope this helps ^

And remember food is for fun before 1 smile

Yesterdayforgotten Sat 01-Feb-20 13:31:30

'Solid food:How much solid foodfor a 7-month-old? Baby should be starting to get three meals ofsolid foodeach day. Depending on the baby, a meal might be as little as a tablespoon or two or asmuchas four to six ounces (eight to 12 tablespoons) of baby food.'

Yesterdayforgotten Sat 01-Feb-20 13:32:39

www.thebump.com/baby-month-by-month/7-month-old-baby

^ another useful link

dorapie Sat 01-Feb-20 14:57:03

My DD was just like this - wouldn't accept a spoon!

I gave her things she could feed herself, including chunks of chicken, fish fingers ... Avocado and egg made into a pancake-type thing were particular favourites. She's not long turned one and only recently started accepting a spoon. Embrace it! It's great for their motor skills.

dorapie Sat 01-Feb-20 14:58:42

Oh and I didn't worry too much about how much she ate - not only 'food before one is just for fun' but also food (other than meat) is less calorific and therefore less filling than milk. Some babies 'get it' sooner than others. My DD's appetite increased a lot at about 10 months and I wish I hadn't spent the previous months worrying so much about the quantity she was eating.

user1493413286 Sat 01-Feb-20 15:03:17

I found the game changer for me was when I stopped thinking of finger foods as things that I would eat as finger foods and changed my mindset to anything being finger foods so DD just ate everything with her hands E.g. chicken curry and rice, roast chicken and potato.
At 7 months is be doing breakfast and either lunch or dinner then move on to 3 meals if he’s eating those well

MeadowHay Thu 06-Feb-20 14:15:17

It sounds like they're eating loads to me! My DD didn't eat anything at that age other than a few little spoons of fruit puree or yoghurt or porridge etc sometimes. She otherwise just gummed on solid food but she wasn't really eating any. She was on 4 9oz bottles at the time, she grew fine. She didn't really eat meals til she was about 1. We didn't spoon feed her more than a couple of times a week, mostly she just sorted herself out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »