Talk

Advanced search

weaning -what times to you do food and milk

(5 Posts)
kbaby Mon 27-Sep-04 12:27:24

When you started weaning when did you give milk? and what times did you feed etc

e.g
7.00 milk
8.00 breakfast
10.00 milk
1.00 lunch and milk
4.00 milk
7.00 tea and milk.
Is this a rough routine or would you cut out soem milk feeds and bring dinner and tea forward

PicadillyCircus Mon 27-Sep-04 13:08:13

It took ages for me to have proper times at all and even now (DS is 10 months) he will eat lunch and dinner at different times depending on whether he's at home or not. In nursery he eats food at the same times, unless he's asleep ie breakfast between 8 and 8:30, lunch at 11:15 and tea at 3:15. He'll then have a yoghurt with me at about 6ish.

When he's at home he'll have breakfast about 7:30 or 8. Lunch will be somewhere between 11:30 and 1 and dinner between 5:30 and 6.

When he was about 5 months, he was having milk at least 6 times a day. I started with lunch at some sort of lunch time ie between 11:30 and 2:00 or so. I found it depended on how tired he was - if he didn't eat within an hour and a half after waking up he would be too tired to eat. Breakfast came in next, and it took me a while to introduce supper.

Sorry, I know I;m not much help here but I suppose I have never been good on routine with DS. He does fit in fine with nursery though so I don't worry about it.

Titania Mon 27-Sep-04 13:10:56

my ds is 7 months and his routine is based on the gina ford routine

7am wake...milk and cereal with fruit
9.15-10am...sleep
11.45am...solids and juice/water
12.30-2.30pm (or somewhere inbetween)...sleep
4.15pm...Juice
5pm...solids
7pm...milk and bed

Titania Mon 27-Sep-04 13:11:37

oh sorry...he has a bottle of milk at 2.30om when he wakes as well

mears Tue 28-Sep-04 10:43:15

kbaby - I always gave solids before a breastfeed at mealtimes. Tea time was 5.30pm'ish.

Milk feeds should be maintained until solids are established at all mealtimes in larger quantities. You can give breastfeeds in between times. I never gave my babies any solids after teatime and they had a breastfeed before bed.

Despite being an avid breastfeeder I was a sloppy solid introducer. I started with carrot, then carrot and potato and then used jars/packets for convenience or liquidised what we were having minus the salt.

My first 2 had meat before 6 months. The only thing I delayed was eggs i think. Oldest is 17 years and youngest is 10.

Firts baby I was very rigid and only fed at meal times - he got juice inbetween feeds. Last baby got breastfeeding whenever she wanted inbetween meal times (except when I was at work of course).
You will find your own way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »